Holes In Tomatoes

I'm looking for suggestions as to what might be chewing holes in my tomatoes.

I'm finding a great deal of tomatoes (green or otherwise) with a single hole eaten in them. I cut them open and there aren't any worms or other critters inside and I don't see any evindence of slugs (ie trails). I treat them every two weeks with Bt, just in case but it's still persistent. I wouldn't be so upset if one or two tomatoes were eaten but it seems almost half of them have this 1/4 wide inch hole bored in them, to a depth of about the same and mostly it's only a single hole.

I visually scoured the plants ( I only have six) to pick out any culprits and all I found were a couple of stink bugs, one slug on the ground and no sign of horn worms.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reply to
Friar Donk

Try some bird netting and see if that helps?

Reply to
Omelet

Reply to
Steve Peek

You must remember that it takes awhile for the Bt to create a defense in your garden. As all those little bacteria need to reproduce and then really infect target insects. In the mean time, try a little mixture of dish soap and hot pepper sauce sprayed on them.

Reply to
vert20

Grasshoppers will sometimes cause this damage.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Ooh, I tend to forget about those buggers. They live on my poor cannas every year so pretty much leave the veggie garden alone when I'm actually growing one.

There is supposed to be a "bug" (fatal bacterium) you can put out for them too, but it only affects the nymph stage, so must be put out in the spring.

Gotta love biological warfare against garden pests. ;-)

Reply to
Omelet