holes in every single one of my nectarines!

I was out watering my nectarine tree yesterday, and noticed small holes in each and every single one of them. Thankfully, it was just the nectarine, and none on the peach tree nearby. Each hole is probably half a millimeter in size, and there is a very thick gelatinous substance that has exuded. When I crack one of the small (around quarter sized) nectarines open, it looks like a worm trail in there. I think the entire crop I was hoping for is ruined.

Anyone have any ideas on what this might be? I planted the tree last year, and this was going to be my first harvest. At this point, should I just pull all of the nectarine fruits off, and let the tree put all of its energy into growth instead? Thanks!

Reply to
Ohioguy

how big a tree? how many fruits?

i'd just leave them alone and see if the fruits will mature without rotting. then you can harvest and cut out the affected part and still have something.

as an untried by me alternative you can take a syringe and poke in the hole and inject heavy salt water and see if that will stop the worm in it's tracks and still not harm the fruit. at this stage it is likely the fruit will heal or scar tissue around the damage and still ripen later ok.

i wouldn't do this for all of them, but some, to see what happens.

and in a while a paper bag over the fruits to see if i could capture the critter as it emerges for proper id and later corrective measures.

songbird

Reply to
songbird