High Sierra Gardening

Hi everybody- I'm moving from the middle of the corn belt and leaving my beloved garden for the 6000 ft alt. rocky side of a mountain near Lake Tahoe. Shall I start crying now, or can anyone give me any tips on gardening here. What I've found so far indicates that I might as well forget my English cottage garden and my heirloom tomatoes...
Peg, who will soon be cultivating a tumbleweed

where exactly? Truckee? You can almost certainly grow tomatoes there. It is probably Zone 5a (June1-Sept. 30 is, I am guessing, the growing season). Get organized. Drip irrigation is a must, and you will probably need some way to protect things from late frosts. The soil is rocky adobe, so it will take some preparation. Greens will do fine, same for herbs.

It's a short growing season. Gets pretty cool at night (close to freezing) even in summer. Good sunshine though.
Sage ought to do well! I garden in Nampa, Idaho at 2700' elevation and have found a small greenhouse really helps. We can get frost June 1 and September 10 (mostly its better than that) and so I get tomatoes and peppers to pretty good size inside. I always put a couple of early tomatoes in buckets so we have them by early July.