Hey Terri

I R D-U-M, too. I know, shocking, isn't it? Anyway...!

You mentioned that you had lost a week somewhere, and thought last Monday was Memorial day. Well, I think I found your missing week, because I did the same thing in reverse. I thought next weekend was a holiday weekend. Happy was me when I realized my mistake, and that I get to have this Monday off. Wheee!

Not so happy was me when I found out that my temporary dial-up is slower than molasses in January. Going from broadband to 28kps is must not my idea of a good time.

That is all. As you were, comrades!

Reply to
Shelly

Oh! And! I knew there was something I heard on the radio yesterday that was semi-post-worthy here, and it was the FIREWORKS tonight!

I quite understand, and empathize, while simultaneously not wanting to get any closer to 28 kbps than I am right now. (It won't even go up to 50 or so? Sheesh...) But will point out that WoW plays quite well over dialup, if you want to pwn stuff to take out the frustrations...

Dave

Reply to
David DeLaney

snipped-for-privacy@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@gatekeeper.vic.com: But will point out that WoW plays quite well over

If you are teasing me you I will make you pay!

My dialup is typically anywhere between 52bps-54bps. But I do have an additi "Requirements: For this site to work for you, you'll need a reasonably fast computer and a reasonably good web browser. The puzzle program is in JavaScript, so your browser needs to be able to run JavaScript and run it fast."

To that I say: "YOU BASTARDS!"

Reply to
Terri

Not the teasing. People who are used to top-of-the-line broadband can tell a difference ... but a GREAT deal of what WoW is doing is done ON YOUR END. All the video stuff, for example - you're not getting "this shape has moved to here" going back and forth over the wires, you're getting "Player #23155, wearing items #46, 47, and 995, is now at location $X,$Y,$Z" and your p00ter is translating that into what things actually look like. How much RAM you have in your computer makes a MUCH bigger difference than what speed your connection is, though 28.8kbps could be starting to get into the slow area... but I've _played_ WoW over dialup for a while - before the store got its connection hooked up - and can tell you personally it can be done.

How much RAM(ming) do you have, if that's not too personal a question for your p00ter?

Dave "need to upgrade the cooter squirlz?" DeLaney

Reply to
David DeLaney

snipped-for-privacy@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@gatekeeper.vic.com:

My p00ter is blushing but she says she has 250mb; most likely less than the onboard p00ter on the new sewing machine.

All the squirlz's p00ter cooters need upgraded. We actually went down to purchase a new one not long ago. Not having kept up with the software news we didn't realize that Gates had come out with Vista. Once again, we decided to wait for the bugs to finish their work out(s).

Reply to
Terri
  • Terri wrote, On 05/26/2007 08:50 PM:

That could be forev^Wa very long time. If you have the disks for, say, Windows XP or 2000, you could load that onto a new peecee (assuming that they provide teh actual Vista installation disk with the computer boxen for later installation.) Or use Linux. It's easy enough to use for most things, and required-with-no-alternative Windows apps will often run fine under 'Wine' 'emulation'. Unless you have some awkward quilting program that's all weird and stuff.

Have we had this conversation before?

Reply to
anTonOMasia

anTonOMasia wrote in news:f3aprv$42f$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de: Unless you

Yes.

Yes, and I won then, too. HAW!HAW! And to make your eyes bleed, and for payback when you mentioned something about quilting only being good for giving away...

This got me a piece of commissioned work from a post office worker who saw me mailing it off on Thursday:

Also:

And:
.jpg And:

Terri
  • Terri wrote, On 05/26/2007 11:12 PM:

And who's still complainerating about Internet speeds and slow computers and Usernte difficulties? Huh? Yeah? Huh? Your friends try to help you and still you mock us!!2!

Um, me. Mock. Me. Pffft, you are Allowed.

I am certain that I have never slighted your craftiness, skill with a needle, sharp eye or color sense. (Well, there was that one time when you dyed your hair a shocking color of fruit.) And I'm sure that these life skills also help you in teh quilting.

You quilted each and every one of those dog hairs?!?!

What about the noses?

Yes, yes, this will make someone all warm and cuddly, then they'll wrap themselves *in* the quilt and say "Thanks Nana".

This one makes my eyes go funny. And it's not s'crappy, no matter what the neighbours say about your yard art.

Now you're really pushin' it. This does NOT look at all like your dog. Ohhh! I geddit, those arrows are directions for teh new dog. Sleep >>>>> here!

If you didn't live in the middle of nowhere, you could carve out a fair business with this type of work. Someday, someone will invent a way to sell things to peopum who don't live near where you do.

But you'll need a fast computer, and THEN who will you turn to???

Reply to
anTonOMasia

anTonOMasia wrote in news:f3b6v6$m25$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de:

I can't wait to hear what the neighbors *really* think about our yard this year. Because we're annoyed at the city's high water costs designed to roucoup their financial layout for new city pipes, Paul has decided to landscape the front yard. But- nothing will be planted nor grown unless it's edible. No grass. There are no ordinances nor HOAs against it.

Just checking to see if you were paying attention through all the b00ld in your eyes. Here's the front:

Ghostbusters!

Reply to
Terri

If you want cover that won't cost you 200 cosmetic tons of municipal water, note that thyme not only is edible, hardy, and fragrant, but also has pretty little purple flowers. Ground ivy is also hardy, fragrant, and purple-flowered, and historically important in the making of beer.

¬R ... When it comes to _Serious_ writing, Usenet is where it's at
... ... --Jeff...Relf
Reply to
Glenn Knickerbocker

Glenn Knickerbocker wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Jeenyus! You are a wonder you are! Although I do have one thyme plant I use for drying/cooking I never thought of using it as a ground cover but it's ideal for this soil and climate and is indeed classified as a plant for use in xeriscaping. It looks to be a better bet than ground ivy: from what I've read the ivy could become invasive whereas the thyme is less so. Besides: thyme is edible.

Reply to
Terri

"Terri" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

I'd also suggest planting some rosemary bushes. I just planted two that afternoon; now they're still tiny but they'll grow AND RULE THE WORLD (at least here in Italy). If you live in a place with a mild climate, they're ideal. Need little water and are teh yummy with nearly everything.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Reply to
Michael Kuettner

I heartily endorse this product and/or service!!!

BTW it is impossible to grow rosemary from seeds, the sale of which is a big con. Sharing cuttings seems to work about half the time, however.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Yeah, and my sister's German friends actually believed a forest couldn't grow without human intervention.

Seriously.

¬R
Reply to
Glenn Knickerbocker

At what age does Rosemary bloom? Mine has been in the ground a good 7 years and never has.

Southwest exposure, South Central Texas.

Reply to
Omelet

They had serious acid rain in Germany. Instead of voluntary industrial reductions of SO2 emissions, reductions were mandated with fines. Guess what? They got a 30% reduction. I the US same problem, voluntary goals were set, no change. In the Black Forest, I talked to government employees who were cleaning out government installed bird houses, to encourage more nesting and progeny. Germans take care of their forests.

Germans love their forests. To enjoy them, there are thousands of kilometers of "wanderwegs" hiking paths with benches, barbecues and huts for shelter from the rain.

Germans were among the first to recycle clear glass, colored glass and, metal. East Germany is going to be a real test for them though. Toxic waste sites all over the place.

Because so many Germans migrated to this country (as cheap labor), most of their customs will seem familiar. Dining, they prefer meat and potatoes. Sound familiar?

- Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Reply to
Bill Rose

I didn't say it's impossible for rosemary to grow [intransitively] from seeds. But I could have said more precisely that it's "impractical" or "practically impossible" [for people] to grow it [transitively].

However, some plants do spread naturally by non-seedy means.

Reply to
Adam Funk

"Omelet" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:omp snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com...

Nope. Take a mixture of sand, normal garden earth and the blood of a black cocquerel slaughtered at midnight of Walpurgisnacht. The seed will grow.

Give it fertilizer and water during spring. Cut it off from water during the beginning of summer. Then just some drops.

That could emulate the conditions of Italy.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Reply to
Michael Kuettner