Heritage Beans

Hi im completely nuts about growing heritage beans,just love their diversity, would love to hear from anyone who grows them and what they grow,thanks
--
Beanman

Favorite is Provider a string bean but Italian Flat beans (Jumbo) caught may fancy due to the tasty flesh. Like pole beans but don't have the space.
<http://www.johnnyseeds.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm ans>
<http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q ssoulet+of+White+B eans&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8>
All sorts of beans available. Canned I buy Chick Peas, Aduki, and black Beans from Eden Organic.
Yum HUMMUS do your own search.
--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
<http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending

I certainly agree with the Jumbo, but my all-time favorite is a pole bean called Greasy. It's fairly common in rural Appalachia but I've never seen the see in any catalog. My seed has been grown by me and a friend's family for over 100 years. Steve (edamame this year)

<http://rareseeds.com/cart/products/Greasy_Grits_Pole_Bean-1262-119.html
--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
<http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending

Bill, that sounds like the bean. There are at least 3 different greasy beans grown by seed savers in Western NC. All are pole beans and strong runners. The Greasy Cut short has only 4-6 beans to the pod, so they're just strung and broken in 1/2. The long greasy (my type) has 8-11 beans per pod and then there is the big greasy. It has 8-11 beans and a very thick, fleshy pod.
I like to let the long greasy get very full before picking. The beans have a rich, nutty flavor and are wonderful for canning. The cut shorts make the best "leather britches".
Steve

What do the bean seeds look like? I know someone who is looking for an old Southern bean like a field pea. If you have any pictures I will pass them on to him.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

http://www.flickr.com/photos/farmerjay/3879169616/in/photostream /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/farmerjay/3879181586/in/photostream /
http://www.farmerjay.com/2009/05/05/planted-greasy-grits-beans /
Beanman wrote:

I like a pole bean called "Rattlesnake", but I usually grow "Romano" instead because it's also good and more prolific. I haven't had much luck with bush beans here; the weather or the rabbits always kill them (but "Contender" and "Jumbo" are good ones.)
Bob

Is contender a yellow provider? It has been awhile.
--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
<http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending
Bill who putters wrote:

I don't know anything about Provider, but Contender is rather skinny green bean with a good flavor, and it bears early -- something like 53 days for the first crop (some catalogs say 40 days) and then a second crop a week or two later.
Bob