Here we go again

Page 2 of 2
Nyssa wrote:

Don't call it them furrin names tell them its cabbage.
Derald wrote:

:) yes, we found some the other day.
for Nyssa:
can they be shredded and fermented like saurkraut? someone mentioned to me that many of the firmer vegetables (including turnips and radishes) can be fermented. i've not tried it yet, though, so i have no idea how well it might work or what it tastes like. figure if you have extra it might be worth a try instead of throwing it out or composting it.
songbird
On Monday, March 3, 2014 4:28:42 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:

Most any vegetable can be brine pickled. The ratio is 50 lbs veg to 1 lb. salt.Be sure to use canning /pickling salt for the process. Steve remembering grandma's picled green beans and corn.

In my experience, whether mulch will kill lawn comes down to how nice a lawn it is. The most common desirable turf grasses seem to die really easy with mulch. The lawn weeds and invasive grasses just laugh and thank you for removing the competition.
Of course, whether tilling those will kill them also varies.
My prefered garden expansion is to till, then put on a thick mulch and plant *nothing*. For that season, I just dig out any green thing that raises its head.
In reality, I get to do that for maybe 20% of new ground. Too much to-do list and not enough daylight for my ideals.

--
Drew Lawson | Broke my mind