Herb Pallet Garden

My daughter sent us a link about growing herbs through the slats of a pallet. Since we had one out in the barn, my wife decided to try it. It worked out very well; the plants are thriving and she doesn't have to worry about weeds.
http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/pavel314/media/HerbPalletGarden004_zps508678c7.jpg.html

What is the growing media, and what contains it?
Why don't you have to worry about weeds?
Many pallets are treated like railroad ties to resist rot (not a good thing in an edible garden).
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/