Help with my vegetable garden and when or how to replant

How do you know when to reseed or replant a vegetable garden cause Im growing it all but this is my first garden?

deb

Reply to
undercover

Depends upon where you are and what you're planting.

You may find more information in rec.gardens.edible (crossposted).

Being lazy, I finally got most of my garden (tomatos and peppers) planted over the weekend. Also had some of the rainbow chard which survived from last year with dinner yesterday. Now, if the local rabbit will just leave stuff alone...

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Since this is your first garden, take my advice and test your soil's pH and then adjust it to what it should be, generally 6.5. That's the very first thing you should do. Also make sure it has enough phosphorus, compost, etc. before you plant anything. I didn't bother testing the pH in my first garden and I didn't bother doing much soil preparation. Now I wish I did. My soil is alkaline. The spinach was able to do well anyway because it can tolerate alkaline soil, but the beets grew too slowly and the bell peppers grew as slow as molasses in winter - which is virtually not at all. Now I got a bunch of different things to add to the soil. I'm especially using sulfur to lower the pH, and I got manure for fertilizer. I'm also adding phosphorus and a couple other things. When it's time to replant a patch, I put in some compost or garden soil mix. Whenever you plant something new, you should read up about it and find out its requirements for temperature, pH, water, sun, nutrients, etc. Otherwise you could just be wasting your time unless you get lucky.

As far as knowing when to replant, that's easy. Just replant according to what season various vegetables do best in in your area and climate. Some veggies do better on cool weather, some in warm weather.

Reply to
wizzzer

Now, if the local

Our local rabbit made a pest of himself. When the first picking of Squash and Beans come in...he will be the "Entrait". Some pests just never learn. Dave

Reply to
D.Reid

On Wed, 31 May 2006 02:05:21 -0000, in misc.consumers.frugal-living snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston), in glistered weave writ large for all to see:

What kind of peppers? Bell or hot? I have planted hot peppers and wonder about the local animals -- birds, rabbits and squirrels -- and if they will take more than one bite of a habanero, jalapeno, or serrano.

FACE

Reply to
FACE

Six sweet bell, six cayenne, two habanero (at the end closest to the street, partly as a theft deterent :-) ).

I don't think the animals (including my occasionl logn-eared visitor) will touch the hot peppers, but I know crickets will eat the cayenes. I've seen them doing it...

Guess they'd make interesting fish bait.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston