Help please - poisoned by squash?

This year a seedling appeared in the veg plot which looked like

squash. I assumed the seed must have come from the compost where I ha put the previous years marrow innards after we ate the rest. I cut th first fruit last night. It had the colour of a marrow but a bit 'dumpy about a foot long and a little tapered.

Cut open the flesh looked marrow like and it was duly cooked for a mea last night. It tasted absolutely foul so my wife and myself only at only the tiniest piece each. Today we are both feeling ill and hav been purging since the early hours.

For the last few weeks the leaves have had a white mould growing o them and I've simply been cutting off the leaves and excess plant an putting in the compost bin.

My question which I hope someone can advise me about is: Is it the mould which has made the fruits toxic or is it possibly toxic squash which found it's way here by maybe bird seed and is i safe to use the compost?

This is my first post so please forgive if I'm rambling. Thanks Ale

-- cordowr

Reply to
cordowr

It may have been a wild gourd. They are not edible.

Watch it. You may want to take some of the leaves and one of the "fruits" to the emergency room with you.

Reply to
Omelet

Thanks Om

Fortunately it tasted so disgusting we only ate the tiniest piece eac and have now recovered - well almost. I amazed so little of it had suc a drastic effect. Another lesson learned!

All the Best Ale

-- cordowr

Reply to
cordowr

So long as you are ok now!

Baby wild gourds can resemble squashes, but tend to be a bit toxic. Once they mature, they develop hard shells.

Be careful! :-)

Reply to
Omelet

Just to add to what others have said, please do not throw mouldy fruit or leaves into your mulch... the mould will thrive! Throw it in the rubbish bin or burn it.

You may well have eaten a decorative squash.... In the future, when confronted by white mould, try spraying camomile tea on the infected plants - organic and effective natural remedy!

bon appetite, Outre

Reply to
transmogrifer200

Thanks for the advice Outre It may well encourage me to drink more camomile tea instead of th caffeinated stuff too!

All the Bes

-- cordowr

Reply to
cordowr