help needed. Need a good catalog house that sells strawberry , other fruits and vegetables over the mail.

Hi! Thank everybody for help very much. Any attention given to my posting is appreciated very much. I need a good catalog house that sells strawberry , other fruits and vegetables over the mail.
The criterias listed in order of priorities from 1 - is the most important, 10--least important. must be good variety of fruit and vegetable. Must: 1. taste real good. How good it is for transsportation does not matter for me. 2. Grow in San Diego. 3. be kind of easy to grow for newbie like me, I guess it should be pretty resistent to pests by itself without insecticides. Should be able to grow on a slope. 5. Should be able to grow good even if I miss a week or two and do not take care of weeds. 6. Give as many crops as possible. 7. Price is also important
Regards.
For some reason nobody answers this posting. If I am asking something real stupid or there is some conflict of interests, I am sorry.You do not have to say that you recommend anything. I am just looking for something people have used and are happy with. That is all. I need a catalog house that sells both vegetables and fruits plants. So I can start my own research and make my decisions
Thanks again.
Mark wrote:

I don't live in San Diego, so I don't know what grows well there; and most mail order places that ship veggie plants are through for the summer.
Penelope

It is difficult for most of us because San Diego is such a small geographic area and also because most of us start from seed or buy plants from a nearby nursery. You have likely tried Google already but, if not, this might help:
http://tinyurl.com/qawhc . Sorry I cannot be of any real help. -- Gardening Zones Canada Zone 5a United States Zone 3a
Mark wrote:

I would assume Seeds of Change will satisfy your requirements, but there are other, more regional catalogs. I, for example, buy everything from Territorial Seeds, which specializes in northern varieties. Have you considered a Google search?
Generally people start vegies from seed or buy plants locally. Fruit is a different matter, and different catalogs sepcialize in different things. For example, there are good berry houses, such as Nourse Farms. Raintree Nursery is good for fruit trees. Expecting to buy everything from one dealer is unrealistic.
Your best bet is to talk to your local Cooperative Extension office and find out what grows well in your microclimate. Then find out what would interest you and fit in with your time and other constraints. Start small so you have time to learn. Gardeners aren't made overnight.
Regarrds, Dianna _______________________________________________ To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.
Thanks a lot.
you are saying <<Generally people start vegies from seed or buy plants locally>> Why it can not be done from catalog same way as berrys? and why it has to be seeds not already existing small plants?
Dianna Visek wrote:

Trees and berry plants (and some other things) are shipped when they are dormant so getting dry or too hot or too cold is not a problem. Most vegetables are tender annuals and cannot take very hot or very cold weather. Shipping them more than about a 1 day trip is a real question mark. Besides shipping would cost more than the plants. A package of vegetable seeds cost from $1 to maybe $3 and has 30 to more than 1000 seeds in it. I can also buy locally a 4 pack of vegetable plants for less than $2.
If you do not want to start from seeds yourself, go to a local nursery and but plants there. Most nurseries carry plants that do well in their location and they have knowledgeable people there.
If you are determined to buy something through the Internet, try Burpee. See if they will ship something to you now.
--
Susan N.

It's expensive to ship plants, plus it stresses them. And you can't ship when it's too cold or too warm Or over a weekend. I generally mail order fruit and other plants when they're bareroot. For my area, the best time to plant bareroot plants is the first week of April.
Vegiie plants tend to be brittle, which makes shipping even more difficult. Starting from seed is easy and allows control over the process, which is why so many gardeners go that route. Generally annuals (which encompasses most vegies) are bought locally or started from seeds, while perennials are more suitable for shipping.
I think you need to do some serious reading before you start ordering or planting.
Regards, Dianna

_______________________________________________ To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.
I have had good luck with Gurneys. They ship at the time of year that is good for your location.

Thanks a lot . I appreciate it very much