Heirloom Tomatoes

Does anyone have and grow heirloom tomatoes? That is my thing. I have 3 varities now Russian, Irish and talian. I had one last year that weighed

2 lb. 10 oz. and was great flavor. My Irish is the biggest but the Russian is the best table tomato.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Mel M Kelly

some Hibreds growing from seed now, but will be concentrating on Heirlooms mostly, this year. I also will enjoy what ever info & help I am able to get here.....I wish us luck. Best Regards, Art in New Orleans....BTW, where are you ?

Reply to
Art Hutchison in NOLA 8b

I grow a lot of heirloom and open pollinated tomatoes. The taste is just so much better. Some good sites to find heirlooms are:

Most seed catalogs also have at least a few varieties of heirlooms, too.

My tomato list this year is

Stupice OTC Brandwine Tropic Yellow and Red Current Mexico Ponderosa Red Mortgage Lifter Black Cherry

I also got packs of Marianna's Peace and Bloody Butcher as freebies with other seed orders, so I'm going to try a couple of them, too.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Last year I planted, among many others, the White Currant from Rareseeds (Baker Creek Heirloom) and highly recommend it. Absolutely the best tomato flavor of *any* tomato that we have ever grown. (Another thing I like about rareseeds is that they are quite generous on packet size)

We grew two of the White Currents in a large container and our grandson made sure none went to waste! :-) Nice manageble size, unlike some other cherries I plant. Will plant at least a half dozen this year.

Perfect size for little folks to pop in their mouths and simply wonderful in salads and for snacking.

Have you planted Stupice before? I am thinking of trying them and am curious about others opinions about flavor and "earliness".

Reply to
Charlie

I haven't tried the white current tomato, but current tomatoes are among my favorites. The problem I have with them is that they never make it into the house! I walk around the yard in the evening, popping them in my mouth like little candies.

I put a few in hanging baskets every year. They need to be watered everyday in the hottest part of the summer, but otherwise they do fine. I actually picked yellow current tomatoes on Thanksgiving Day this year, long after my other tomatoes had succumbed to the blight. Sadly, they didn't make it to the Thanksgiving table for everyone to enjoy, but, hey, I sure enjoyed them!

Stupice is my favorite early tomato. I've tried several others, but it has been the most dependable and productive, plus it keeps going once the heat hits. You do get some tomatoes with green shoulders, and some people don't like that, but I think the flavor and productivity is outstanding in such an early tomato.

The Stupice I started this spring already have their second leaves and look like little tomato plants instead of sprouting seeds. Now if this stretch of cold weather would just break, I'll get them repotted and into the cold frame.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

(first reply didn't showup.... I may have poked the wrong followup/reply button.....sorry if I did)

Thank you for the response. Seeds are on order.

Phooey......I am a'hungerin' for fresh tomatoes now!

Reply to
Charlie

I just got some black cherry tomatoe seeds from Rareseeds, and just ordered some red and yellow pear toms. I'm having a difficult time exercising restraint...I have my seed pots ready to go.......no, no, not yet! Too early to plant...

Reply to
Ook

You emailed to me. Not a problem, would you like me to repost it here?

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

No, you are mistaken. They are hungering for you. Didn't you ever see that fine National Geographic documentary film, "Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes"?

Reply to
Usenet2007

See it? I think they must have filmed it in my 'mater patch. Some of my heirlooms were freakin' *huge*.... like wading thru the jungle harvesting!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie