Heirloom Tomato Predation.

[posted to ba.garden, too]

I had (stress that word) six beautiful, almost-ripe-and-ready-to-serve heirlooms. They were monstrous and finishing up ripening. I checked them regularly for progress and was planning to pick them today.

I see that all six have provided a feast for some as-yet-unfound pest! Circular bites, approx. an inch wide by 1/2" inch deep. I immediately went looking for tomato worms and found none. I searched for snails but again found none. I was buzzed by six angry wasps, though; 2 mud-dabbers and four meat-bees (yellow jackets). Could these have been the source of predation?

Many thanks for helping me eliminate the varmint.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

It's entirely possible that the yellowjackets did it. I have seen them eat holes in ripe pears that are fairly big.

Ray

Reply to
Ray Drouillard

Reply to