heavy attack of spider mites

Does anyone know how to get rid of the Tetranychus urticae or spider mite? They have devastated my herb pots, ate the potatoe, tomatoe and some bean plants and now they seem to be moving on to the flower department.

How can I get rid of them? I tried spraying with a mixture of garlic and dishwashing liquid but that only slowed them down.

In 3 days they were chewing happily at my plants as if nothing ever happened. Can I do anything at all?

Reply to
GH

I read on a site (rexresearch) that stinging nettles and garlic help repel/control spider mites. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Reply to
GH

Neem oil

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Here is a commercial site that claims success against them with predator mites. I cannot help with garlic and nettles.

Jim Carter

I had a misfire and responded to the wrong message. Scroll down a couple of messages. Sorry.

Reply to
Jim Carter

I have made a spray with a little bit of buttermilk and flour (like a tablespoon of each for two liters of water), and some insecticidal soap thrown in, and it worked really well. We get spider mites on our beans every year.

Reply to
rebecca

Reply to
webbo

Supposedly boiling rhubarb leaves and straining this into your sprayer makes a good organic spray, whether it works for spider mite i'm not sure they take some getting rid of.

Webbo norfolk UK

Reply to
webbo

I am not certain yet but I've done a little experiment. In one of my big bean pots (60 cm diameter) I planted stinging nettles and in other one lots of garlic cloves. My beans hated the garlic and lowered pod production drastically and the aphid population dropped a little. In the other pot (with stinging nettle) I have almost no aphids, my beans are producing normally - 6 pods/week and continue to grow. The pots are next to each other so the aphids would have no problem crossing. Any comments from a more experienced gardner? What is your experience?

Reply to
GH