Heat

It's 102F on the back porch (west facing) at the moment and I've got the shades pulled down out there since about 1400. Supposed to top at 104F with a heat index of 113 or 114. Thank goodness for air conditioning and electricity.

Crops are withering, of course the tomatoes, eggplants, and sweet chiles are still producing but not as well as earlier in the summer. With raised bed gardens we are having to water every night to keep things going, including our fruit trees.

I'm going to get up at daylight tomorrow and cut out the lima bean vines and chop them up with the mower for the composter. Probably will pull the last of the cukes and lettuces that are either dying or sprouting before death.

Neighbors who don't care about plantings are going to replacing ten or twelve year old live oaks and other plantings that they can't be bothered to water. We let the grass go as it will come back when it rains, if that happens before to long. The weather heads keep promising it's going to be 10% to 40% rain chance just any day now. Dear wife wants me to break out the breech clout and the paints and get my fat butt out there and do a rain dance for her. Might just do it on the off chance the rain gods are poking around looking for a fat guy half naked calling their names.

We're getting atmospheric dust falling on the vehicles, etc. every day. I suspect some volcanoes way off away from Tejas are spouting again. Certainly looks like volcanic dust and there's no deserts anywhere close. Hopefully the stuff has lots of minerals and will help with the fall and spring gardens.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

I am willing to put up with snow and cold in the winter to avoid that heat in the summer.

snip

Tsk. Well as one of my kids once told me, "Mom, you know I don't do nature."

snip

Two eruptions in Colima.

Boron Elgar

George Shirley wrote: ...

yeah, we were doing early morning shifts for a while there too and then when i got tired i'd take a break and head out later for another round or two but that was often for the minor stuff left to do.

i'm much more acclimated to the heat now than i was about a month ago, now when the AC comes on i am hiding under the blankets. to me, being cold in the summer is just plain silly i'm still trying to thaw out from winter.

*grins* :)

trace goodies...

i hope things will start cooling off down there soon!

songbird

Reply to
songbird