Have I killed my asparagus? (Absolute beginner question)

Hi there,

Last year, I planted my first-ever asparagus crown. I planted it in a huge pot and it lived part of the time in a glass-walled back porch and part of the time in the garden.

It did very well. As advised, I let it grow all year and didn't cut any of the shoots (even though it was oh-so-tempting). When it started to get cold, I brought it back into the enclosed porch. (I was so amazed at what it did after the spear stage - it was like a big amazing asparagus frond explosion!)

Anyway, over the winter, I ended up having to do a lot of travelling and wasn't around to water it. The plant dried out completely. (The person watering my plants didn't know there was an asparagus on the back porch.)

I'm back now and wondered if there was any way to tell whether or not the plant is completely dead. It looks dead, but from reading wikipedia and garden websites, it appears that asparagus naturally dies off and resprouts every year anyway which got me hopeful that it might still have some life left in it.

Is there any way to tell whether I've killed it or if it's just lying dormant, waiting for spring? If anyone has any advice on what I might be able to do to make it happy again, I'd much appreciate it!

Apolgoies, I am a /very/ new to gardening and don't even know what I don't know at this stage! : )

Reply to
Fuseki

Many, many thanks! I'll leave it in the container and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice about the weather as well. Last year was my first year trying to grow things and so I think I got a bit over cautious about a number of things. If this little guy is still alive, I'll probably look at planting him outside at some point.

Again, many thanks! : )

Reply to
Fuseki

That is correct. It may be OK

Put it in the ground with a couple of dozen mates in soil enriched with horse manure in full sun. It will grow better and you wont have to water the pot.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

The one thing you never told us is where you are. You planted 1 crown? How do you buy 1 crown? I've done two plantings of asparagus. One, 20 years ago, and one this past summer. Each planting consisted of at least 7-9 crowns. That's how the come packaged here. (I'm in Texas) Asparagus crowns are planted reasonably deep. Usually 5 to 7 inches deep in soil. They are cold hardy, so in all likelihood they will survive the winter. They will start coming up in early spring. The older ones I have start coming up in mid March. I feed them only organic fertilizer and lots of compost. Some are as big around as my thumb. I stop cutting them when they are as big around as pencils. Then I let them grow and make the tall fronds. Letting them grow gives energy to the roots for next year. When it freezes, they will die back to soil level. That's when you cut them off and mulch them with compost if possible. It feeds them, and helps insulate them from the cold. They are quite hardy. Don't coddle them. Plant into the earth. More than one. They are heavy feeders, so fertilize them on a regular basis. They need consistent watering, but don't like wet feet. Well drained soil is best. Don't be afraid....go for it. Regarding yours.... Depending on how long it was dry, it may be ok... if it's in a pot, pull it out and look at it. If it's still supple, it will probably be ok. Soak it in water for at least an hour, then plant it in the soil. They like full sun if possible. When they start coming up in the spring they're amazing. People don't believe it, but, in the spring, mine grow 3 inches a day. Not a joke.

"Fuseki" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk...

Reply to
C'mon Down!!