HastaGro?

I've had a miserable time with miracle grow...
Anyone have any experience with HastaGro??????
--
Peace!
Om

OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

Nope. But I use and recommend Osmocote (or a similar controlled-release fertilizer) for potted and bedding plants.
I use compost, alfalfa meal, Espoma products and Maxicrop (a kelp spray) in the veggie garden.

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 06:04:09 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@someplace.net.net (Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

Hmmm.
<google, google, google>
Ah!
Thanks Pat, I've learned something new today.
ALFALFA MEAL (3N-lP-2K)
Alfalfa meal or pellets is one of the green manure crops and contains small amounts of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium which feed the plant. However, the biggest benefit of alfalfa is from the work it does in the soil. Alfalfa contains the hormone, Triacontanol, a plant growth regulator. Alfalfa meal can be top dressed and watered in. But quicker benefits are had when alfalfa is brewed into a tea. The primary boost comes from the millions of microbes in the fermented meal that activate the soil organisms that then convert nutrients into forms available to plants. Roses love it. Only apply alfalfa to the surface. If placed in the root zone, the rapid decomposition of alfalfa will generate heat which can damage the roots.
Penelope
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Is the alfalfa meal substantially better than alfalfa which has gone through a cow's digestion (manure)?

I don't know. I didn't know about alfalfa meal at all until this morning. I suspect it's a matter of when you add it, and what you're growing.
Penelope
snipped-for-privacy@someplace.net.net (Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

I think Hastagro is kelp based?
--
Peace!
Om

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

Never heard of HastaGro. What was the problem with MG? I know it comes in a variety of NPK. My neighbour was using the one for the lawn (with a high N number) and couldn't understand why it wasn't helping some of the veggies (all growth, little fruit).
..

It does not last long... and it's easy to over-do it.
--
Peace!
Om