Harvesting potatoes

Good morning to the Group from Arkansas USA . My question to the group is when is the best time to dig potatoes ,when they first bloom or when the plants die? Also does removing the blooms increase the yield? thanks for all responses hlb
Where in Arkansas ? I'm in Stone County , north central area . I suspect my soil is a couple of years away from taters , if you look at it wrong when damp it packs hard as concrete . Needs more organic stuff , it's mostly silty clay and ... wait for it ... rocks .
--
Snag
There's a reason they
HL B123 said:

Best for what?
You can start sneaking some new potatoes any time the spuds are big enough to suit you. Otherwise, wait until the vines die back.
If mice aren't a problem, you can store them in the ground until you are ready to cellar them. If mice are a problem, you'd better hurry and get them while you can.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."