harvesting lettuce

Page 2 of 2
Emmet Cummings wrote:

That's what I said until I bought a bunch from the local green-grocers and tasted the salad they make. From now on, I forage. (Actually, since they come up from hardy roots, I can't call it foraging because I already know where the good ones are growing. From now on, it's called 'harvesting'.
These are dandelion with leaves nearly 12" long that have not put up a seed stalk yet. My information is that they get bitter after the seed stalk comes up.
Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

You know I can't remember seeing one in my backyard(then again my yard isn't that large). Do you think they're still good if they come up through the cracks in the sidewalk?

I was leafing through a health store catelog the other day and saw them selling dandelions roots. So don't stop at the leaves :)
Rob

out of my addled brain) that bolting has less to do with heat and more with light. You might want to try that on one or two heads, consider putting a paper bag over them after an hour or two of morning sun. Might work, might not.
Philip