harvesting lettuce

I love chard - just regular Swiss chard. I prefer the green kind (Fordhook Giant is the one I generally grow). I think it's better than spinach. I also think beet greens are better than spinach. So I'm not really stuck for a spinach substitute. Chard has always grown VERY well for me, never any problems with it.

But I'll definitely also try Good King Henry: who could resist growing a plant with a name like that? :) Not me.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

I've tried a lot of spinach substitutes and haven't really found one either of us likes. This year I tried Good King Henry (or Lincolnshire spinach) and it may have some possibilities if I can get it to germinate. I planted several seeds in each of several starter pots and only had one plant come up. But since it's a perennial, I thought I'd bury some seeds this fall and see if overwintering is what they want.

Also tried perpetual spinach, a fine leafed chard - don't like it.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

It's also known as Lincolnshire spinach. Apparently its even grown commercially in Britain. The only place I've seen it is Bountiful Gardens, and they say they've had trouble germinating it.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard