harvesting kohlrabi

Hi - I have gardened for years, but this was my first time growing kohlrabi. I did it on a whim really - and I believe I left them too long. Is there any sort of rule as to when to harvest the globes? Is there a point past which they are inedible?

Mine are now about the size of softballs, or 5" across. One developed a split, which might just be due to the unprecedentedly rainy cool spring/summer, but might be a sign of being past prime.

I am in the NY Catskills, zone 5 according to the Arbor Day mapping site.

Any guidelines would be appreciated so I can do better next year. Thanks!

Reply to
PhoenixWench

Harvest them earlier about tennis ball size. You will get less vege but it will be nicer. Later they get fibrous and subject to rotting.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I've been growing a variety which is supposed to grow that big, but most types are harvested when they reach the size of an orange rather than that of a grapefruit.

When they are past ideal size, they tend to get stringy at the surface and near the stem end. You should be able to pare away the stringy part and have something left.

My experience is that like tomatoes and melons, they can split after a heavy rain. As long as rain doesn't collect in the cracks and rot them, the split kohlrabis can still be used. They just need a bit more peeling.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Thanks! Harvesting them now, and will remember for next year ;-)

Reply to
PhoenixWench