Harvesting Garlic

I read lots about this plant and that plant being heavy feeders (tomato and garlic most notably) but I don't ever see that. Since I grow no pulses, I do occasionally add urea to my beds (maybe each bed got sprinkled once), and I always add some wood ash to keep them at a decent pH (and yes, to replenish K as well as other micronutrients), and of course most beds get two inches of various compostables every year. In fact the beds are entirely made of compost by now. But what do you really gain by, say, having 250 ppm of (any major nutrient) as opposed to 150 ppm?

Reply to
simy1

Yes, I agree with Ross's five green leaves remaining.... As far as planting time...plant so the plant starts to grow before the cold sets in when nothing will grow. (60 days before) Garlic hibernates over the winter and will start to grow again when it gets warm enough. It is important to plant fairly deep so that frozen soil does not push (heave) the garlic to the surface during the winter. Covering with mulch, as someone has mentioned, keeps the ground consistently frozen.... Gary Fort Langley BC Canada

To reply remove yoursocks...

Reply to
gary davis

il Tue, 11 May 2004 17:56:08 GMT, gary davis ha scritto:

Frozen soil? Brrr, we only get to -6C° air maybe once a year at night, if that. Obviously it all depends on climate for cultivation 'rules'.

Reply to
Loki

And also for varieties. Google for "soft neck" / "hard neck". If you live where the climate seldom gets good and cold, I think you'll need to plant soft neck varieties and you'll need to plant them on a different schedule than a northern gardener.

Bill

Reply to
Anonymous

il Tue, 18 May 2004 01:07:00 -0400, Anonymous ha scritto:

This started with a question from a person in Osaka, which was pretty hot when I was there. Not to mention of dubious air quality.

As for soft neck and hard neck, I'd never heard these terms used before. I just planted garlic from what I had or bought some from the nursery. They just called them 'garlic'. They've never flowered though.

I'll have to till my garden if I want to plant anything, it's as hard as a rock at the moment. Unfortunately I can't hover over the soil to weed it.

Reply to
Loki

Soft neck, then. Hard neck generally has fewer cloves wrapped around a hard stem, and the hard stem is the remnant of the flowering stalk.

Hardnecked garlic has a zippier flavor; softneck generally stores longer and has smaller (and better wrapped) cloves.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

il Tue, 18 May 2004 06:05:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@someplace.net.net (Pat Kiewicz) ha scritto:

I've just read that elephant garlic is actually a type of leek.

Reply to
Loki

Verrrrry purrrrdy ... what varieties are you growing? I have Ajo Rojo, Leningrad, Metechi and California White (grocery store bulbs). Yours in April look pretty much like mine now.

Bill

Reply to
Bill