Harvesting Beet Greens

Page 2 of 2

OK. I already covered local buying which doubles the value of the purchase to the local economy (New Economics Foundation,"Local Food Better for Rural Economy than Supermarket Shopping" [press release], London, UK. 7 August 2001).
Walter Goldschmdt's 1947 book "As You Sow: Three Studies in the Social Consequences of Agribusiness" as summarized in Peter Barnes (ed.)The People's Land: A reader on Land reform in the United States, Rodale Press, 1975. Refers to increased economic viability in farm towns where farm sizes are smaller and cater to local buyers, which has an amplifying effect of increased goods and services being sold and the ameliorating influence that it has on local infrastructure.
I can't find the quote that I want for long distance food contamination so let me substitute "Is Your Food Contaminated?", Mark Frischetti, Scientific American, September, 2007.
Using crop rotation requires fewer inputs (less petroleum products), which will improve the land. It allows greater diversity, which offers its' own protection to the farmer because he is not dependent (make or break) on one crop. If the farmer can do his/her own sales or distribution, they receive more than the 7 cents on the dollar that the monoculture farmers get.
And lastly, it must be obvious that fresher food tastes better.
I gave up with the footnotes because it's time for my beauty nap.
I await you response as to where I jumped the tracks.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.

Many of us do, but not to the point of being adversarial or obnoxious. It doesn't do a cause any good if you turn off your audience ;->
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

Ann, you don't have to pick a fight. You already have.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.

I've never picked a fight with you, Billy, but you can't say the same. The sad thing is we're on the same page on so many things, but you just can't let anything go.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

I have. You.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.

Yea, right.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked
Ann wrote:

you guys are "beeting" a dead horse.

How right you are! On the other hand, I picked a nice bunch of beets this morning to share with a friend. Golden, Chioggia, Red Ace and Forono. Yum!
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked
doofy wrote:

Sorry y'all...I like ya both, but I'm with doofy on this one...
<running away & ducking back into my safe haven now...LOL!>
In article

Indeed. :-) Mom and I travelled the winery trails a couple of times. I recommend Cana Cellars.

<lol> I said IN TOWN! :-)There is Granzin's in New Braunfels that I have yet to try, but have been encouraged to do so by more than one source.
My preference is to purchase 1/2 of a local range fed cow when I have the money and the space.

--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

Monsanto Company filed a civil suit in the Federal District Court in Boston, Massachusetts, against Oakhurst Dairy Inc. in response to the processor's use of deceptive labels and misleading claims in its product labeling and advertising to consumers in the Commonwealth. The filing seeks an injunction that would prohibit Oakhurst from making these misleading representations in its commercial advertising and promotional practices for its milk and milk products - and asks that these practices be brought in accordance with the law.
Specifically, Monsanto asked the court for an injunction to: Prohibit Oakhurst from showing the statement "Our Farmers' Pledge: No Artificial Growth Hormones," or any similar statement, on the labels of its milk or milk products, or in any other commercial advertising or promotion.
Monsanto fully supports the right of people in grocery stores to make informed choices about what they purchase. We believe that consumers should be able to make these informed decisions based on fair and accurate factual information about the quality and safety of the products they purchase.
Go Oakhurst!

Precisely why I love that outfit. I guess they need to deal with one devil to get the money to fight a worst evil.....
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

LOL