Harvesting Beet Greens

In reference to an earlier question of mine, and someone else's interest in the answer (Omelet I believe), I found this page regarding harvesting beet greens (and beets):

doofy

you can pick 1/3 of the greens at a time.

Reply to
doofy

I finally saw some beets with the greens at Wal-mart for the first time in ages. I'm considering purchasing some and just sticking them back into the ground for greens harvest. :-)

Should not be any different than re-planting any other bulb?

Reply to
Omelet

I'm wondering how long the beet bulb will live if I just leave it in the ground and use it as a fresh greens source. :-) The only green I like better than beet is chard and mom managed to get those to last 3 years or more.

Reply to
Omelet

Not surprising since they are cultivars of the same species.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Really?

But I've not managed to get beet planted from seed to go more than 2 years. The second year, they bolted and produced a ton of seed and very little green.

We've not experienced that with chard.

Reply to
Omelet

Don't go there.

Reply to
doofy

There are few items at Wal-mart that I can't get elsewhere, but here in this town, there are only two grocery stores. Some items I have to go there for unless I want to drive to Austin. Packed freeway and lots of gas.

HEB cuts the greens off of the beets. Always.

Reply to
Omelet

Beta vulgaris

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

LOL

Reply to
Steve

Omelet expounded:

You're not the only one who goes to Walmart, I go there too, they sell the Oakhurst Dairy milk I prefer. Can't get it in any supermarket around here, but super Wally World has it.

I look at veggies in there when I'm getting milk, but somehow I just can't bring myself to buy them. Walmart=plastic in my mind, I guess (except for that damned milk, why did that dairy have to make a deal with the devil? ).

Reply to
Ann

Wal-mart has had Haas Avocados this week 4 for $1.00 again...

Reply to
Omelet

Monsanto Company filed a civil suit in the Federal District Court in Boston, Massachusetts, against Oakhurst Dairy Inc. in response to the processor's use of deceptive labels and misleading claims in its product labeling and advertising to consumers in the Commonwealth. The filing seeks an injunction that would prohibit Oakhurst from making these misleading representations in its commercial advertising and promotional practices for its milk and milk products - and asks that these practices be brought in accordance with the law.

Specifically, Monsanto asked the court for an injunction to: Prohibit Oakhurst from showing the statement "Our Farmers' Pledge: No Artificial Growth Hormones," or any similar statement, on the labels of its milk or milk products, or in any other commercial advertising or promotion.

Monsanto fully supports the right of people in grocery stores to make informed choices about what they purchase. We believe that consumers should be able to make these informed decisions based on fair and accurate factual information about the quality and safety of the products they purchase.

Go Oakhurst!

Reply to
Steve

Steve expounded:

Precisely why I love that outfit. I guess they need to deal with one devil to get the money to fight a worst evil.....

Reply to
Ann

"A study by the New Economics Foundation in London found that every £10 spent in a local food business is worth £25 for the local area, compared with just £14 when the same amount is spent in a supermarket. That is, a pound (or dollar peso, or rupee) spent locally generates nearly twice as much income for the local economy."

- Eat Here, Brian Halwell

What kind of world do you want?

Reply to
Billy

No surprise...

Fast Food is much pricier than cooking your own food.

Frankly, I could not afford to live entirely off of food made by somebody else!

Nor would it be healthy in most cases.

Reply to
Omelet

Om, I didn't say fast food restaurants, I said supermarkets. I doubt that avocados are grown in Texas, so they must come from Florida or California. If they are grown in Texas, though, you would do the neighborhood proud by buying them. The problem is that the profits from "Wally World" leave Texas, leaving the area that much poorer. If you buy from a neighbor, the money will circulate locally.

Reply to
Billy

Billy expounded:

If the neighbor sold decent milk I would.

As for buy locally, I do, as much as possible. Some of us already have the message, Billy.

Reply to
Ann

Sorry, misunderstood.

I do occasionally purchase from Farmers Market (when I remember to go) but local produce stands are rare, and we don't have a good butcher shop here in town.

Reply to
Omelet

As much as possible being the key.

Reply to