Harvesting Beet Greens

Page 1 of 2
In reference to an earlier question of mine, and someone else's interest in the answer (Omelet I believe), I found this page regarding harvesting beet greens (and beets):
http://www.yardener.com/HarvestingandStoringBeets.html
doofy wrote:

Oh, and this one:
http://www.ehow.com/how_8276_harvest-store-beets.html
says you can pick 1/3 of the greens at a time.

I'm wondering how long the beet bulb will live if I just leave it in the ground and use it as a fresh greens source. :-) The only green I like better than beet is chard and mom managed to get those to last 3 years or more.
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

Not surprising since they are cultivars of the same species.
David

Really?
But I've not managed to get beet planted from seed to go more than 2 years. The second year, they bolted and produced a ton of seed and very little green.
We've not experienced that with chard.
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

the
Beta vulgaris
David

Hey thanks!
I finally saw some beets with the greens at Wal-mart for the first time in ages. I'm considering purchasing some and just sticking them back into the ground for greens harvest. :-)
Should not be any different than re-planting any other bulb?
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.
Omelet wrote:

Don't go there.

There are few items at Wal-mart that I can't get elsewhere, but here in this town, there are only two grocery stores. Some items I have to go there for unless I want to drive to Austin. Packed freeway and lots of gas.
HEB cuts the greens off of the beets. Always.
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

You're not the only one who goes to Walmart, I go there too, they sell the Oakhurst Dairy milk I prefer. Can't get it in any supermarket around here, but super Wally World has it.

I look at veggies in there when I'm getting milk, but somehow I just can't bring myself to buy them. Walmart=plastic in my mind, I guess (except for that damned milk, why did that dairy have to make a deal with the devil? <G>).
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

<lol>
Wal-mart has had Haas Avocados this week 4 for $1.00 again...
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

"A study by the New Economics Foundation in London found that every 10 spent in a local food business is worth 25 for the local area, compared with just 14 when the same amount is spent in a supermarket. That is, a pound (or dollar peso, or rupee) spent locally generates nearly twice as much income for the local economy." - Eat Here, Brian Halwell
What kind of world do you want?
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.
In article

No surprise...
Fast Food is much pricier than cooking your own food.
Frankly, I could not afford to live entirely off of food made by somebody else!
Nor would it be healthy in most cases.
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

Om, I didn't say fast food restaurants, I said supermarkets. I doubt that avocados are grown in Texas, so they must come from Florida or California. If they are grown in Texas, though, you would do the neighborhood proud by buying them. The problem is that the profits from "Wally World" leave Texas, leaving the area that much poorer. If you buy from a neighbor, the money will circulate locally.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.

If the neighbor sold decent milk I would.
As for buy locally, I do, as much as possible. Some of us already have the message, Billy.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

As much as possible being the key.
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.
In article

Sorry, misunderstood.
I do occasionally purchase from Farmers Market (when I remember to go) but local produce stands are rare, and we don't have a good butcher shop here in town.
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

Buying locally is just good for the area because it increases local employment (improves taxes and local infrastructure), reduces the chance of contamination (inherent in long distance transportation), allows local farmers to produce diverse crops (which improves their income and their soil) and the food tastes better.
Independent butcher shops, in this area of a half million people, are usually found in rural areas, not in the shopping hubs. The tricks that are played with meat can make you sick. Vacuum bags of pork ribs are injected with ozone to make the meat look fresh. Aged hams are cosmetically treated and re-offered as picnic hams. Nitrates are used to make meat look fresh. According to Michael Pollan, animals finished with grain are bad for you (omega-6/omega-3), where as the grass feed version of the same meat is health neutral to beneficial.
Then you can wash it all down with a Texas Hill Country wine, http://www.texaswinetrail.com/map.html . You live in the Hill country, if I remember correctly.
Ever since I discovered Schultz's Weingarten in Austin and Fredricksburg on the Internet, I've wanted to visit. Speaking of which, no good butchers in Fredricksburg or New (Neu) Braunfels? Das ist ganz traurig.
Oh, and the people who already have the message could do us all some good, if they could whoop the message up a little.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.
In article

Big whoops here. Make that Shultz's Biergarten. (Shultz is spelled differently too). Anyway, rec.garden.edible, rec.garten.bier, everything is good.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.

You know Billy, I'm on your side but only one of those statements is fact. All of the others are geo/demo relative or just plain inaccurate.