Happy Holidays to all at rec.gardens.edible

Happy Holidays to everyone here. First thing I'm doing after Xmas is ordering seed. This is going to be a big gardening year at Rancho McHugh!
Thanks for all your help over the years. I don't post that often but I've been here since before the split and remember such memorable (and humorous!) topics such as "Moron Growing Basil" and "How to Get Rid of Golfers in Garden?".
Mary
Happy holidays to you too, Mary. Could you or anyone else enlighten me about "the split"? I've only been following this group for months, not years. I would guess that this group was split from rec.gardens? Is that right? When did it happen?
Steve
Mary McHugh wrote:

Steve wrote:

Hi Steve,
I'd have to look up the date but yes, originally there was one enormous group rec.gardens. After the requisite vote, it was split into the subcategories we have now. Actually, there was probably more than one vote. I remember that originally there was a lot of opposition to the split and the first few votes probably failed.
On another note, I'm relieved that the busy part of the holiday is over and I can get to ordering my seeds. :-)
Mary
Mary McHugh wrote:

Thanks Mary. I never realized that groups can split. I just assumed that somebody started a group like this (without a vote or anything from the old group) and either is succeeded or it didn't.
I should follow your lead as far as ordering seeds. Too often I put it off and have to rush in the spring.
Steve
Steve wrote:

Anyone can create an alt.* group so long as they can follow instructions. For the other major heirarchies (rec.*, comp.*, misc.*, etc.) there is a procedure that must be followed (request for discussion or RFD and call for vote CFV).

That has been my usual MO. This year, my new years resolution is to get it done ASAP.
Last year was such a bad year weather-wise that I'm really looking forward to the new season.
Mary
Mary McHugh wrote:

rec.gardens.edible got through on the first try, after it got renamed from rec.gardens.vegetable. I remember being quite happy about the split, as rec.gardens had been getting rather unwieldy.
I voted for, of course. 1996. My, doesn't time fly: http://open-systems.ufl.edu/mirrors/ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.gardens.edible
Henriette
--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
Henriette Kress wrote:

http://open-systems.ufl.edu/mirrors/ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.gardens.edible
Thanks for the reminder. Time does indeed fly.
I was in favor of the split as well. Some people just don't like change, even when it is a good change.
Mary