Handy Water Figure to Know

I'm harvesting rain water and found this that lets me figure how much water to put on my beds this summer.
# "If we take 1 square foot of ground, 12" X 12" and have 1 inch of rain, we end up with .623 gallons of water. There are 43,560 square feet in each acre of ground. With a one inch rain that gives 27,137.88 gallons per acre."
Charlie
Charlie wrote:

Duh?
It doesn't work like that. Think about it. They aren't little one foot square waterproof containers.
Crak'd Pot
On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:38:45 +1000, O No <

Huh? I have *no* idea what you are trying to convey.
What doesn't work like what? What is not a little one foot waterproof container? Seriously, I am clueless about what you mean and I don't even have me snooter in the ale barrel.
Perhaps I was not clear and assumed that people would know that capturing roof runoff and storing it in a tank and barrels and then using the saved water for watering raised beds is what I was talking about, ie. harvesting rain water. It is a handy figure to know in order to calculate the square footage of my beds, start watering, and know when to stop when I have applied, say one inch of water, by simply looking at the graduations on my tank.
Charlie

Either you have one freakin' big tank (27,137.88 gal./acre and just how tall are you eves?) or your planing on scaling this back some. What you using drip? I mean, what are you using, drip? Farml said somethin' about low pressure drip but I got lost in the conversation about sagging hindsides and such, sorry, old habits and all that;-) (Did I mention that I have been confirmas as having Donelop's disease? My gut done loped over my belt;-) [There must be a 12 step program for smiley face absers.] Any who, you must know that for drip, you have to have a larger feeder line, because laminar flow will reduce the pressure at the extremities of the spaghetti drip emmiters. I use the 1/4 inch that has 1/2 gal/hr emmiters every 12" but that only works up to 20'.
Who was the "Psycho Ceramic"? Haven't seen him around here before. He sure jumped in and out fast.
--

Billy

Scaled back just a bit. 1 350 gal tank and two 55 gal barrels, with two more in the works when I get the trade worked out with the present owner, who happens to be my mother.....*should* be easy, but you know how mothers can be1 ;-)
Crimeny, what's all this low pressure drip and tubing and all that.......this is sounding scientific and expensive in amount of time to setup and buy and figure, oh balls....what I will do is simply hook the garden hose to the 350gal/hr pond pump, given the grid stays up, and water with a wand......kind of a meditational thing.
THe bottom of the tank is only about four *inches* above the level of the garden, so pressure, particularly when at a low level is minimal and I'm not inclined to figure volume and distance and reductions and all that. Now, If I were clinging to the side of a mountain, like you are, it might be adifferent story! :-)
I haven't measured the square footage of the portion of the roof that supplies the tank, but it is not large, and it filled this weekend on one rain. Don't know how much it rained, cuz the rain gauge froze and broke. The barrels both ran way over.

Elifino....elifino what the poster meant either.
Hey! Is one of the symptoms of Donelop's a fallen arse that somehow creeps out the top of one's shorts? Elifino, but I got's both goin' on. CHarlie

O.K., O.K., just wanted to make sure that this was a standard snafu;-) bonne nuit mon brave
--

Billy

OK please explain why it doesn't work like that.
David

You wet your beds?;-)
--

Billy

Depends.....
<Charlie> wrote in message > I'm harvesting rain water and found this that lets me figure how much

Thanks, Charlie.
Here's a general guideline I use when to know to water the new arrivals to keep em' moist at all times. The reason I use this method is that air moisture levels, direct sunshine, and air temperature change all the time. Use a stone birdbath that holds about 1" of water. When it dries up, I fill it and water the new plants as well.
--
Dave

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:10:08 -0500, "Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

Hmm. Good idea. Thanks to you as well, Dave.
I have one that I'm not using that just found a new home in the garden!
Now, if will just warm up.
Charlie

I tend to water when the phlox wilts within a day or three.
We have a stone bird bath and like the notion. However our birds would give many false readings. So some sort of fencing would be in order here.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Fencing, or a rubber snake?