Gwynne Dyer: Biofuel mania ends days of cheap food

Page 2 of 3
In article

Yes I like company.
I'm reminded of a 18 th century quote from some guy in England. I'm not sure but think it was Walpole? I came across it while studying Billie Blake.
"You can only have foreign intervention abroad when there is tyranny at home."
Crazy Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:48:15 -0700, Persephone wrote:

Yeah, shrewd enough to know to whom he is beholden and scared enough not to go against them. He owes lots of debts, political and private.

After first suffering perhaps a little........extreme rendition?

Hey, you're preaching to the choir here.
He is simply the public face of the amoral rot that has set in in DC. I say amoral, though I am beginning to believe that amorality has largely been replaced by evil.
I too remember another America, though our beginnings are not as pure as we would like to imagine them. This America that has replaced that which we knew is on the wane, and therefore very dangerous, both to the world and to those of us who are "citizens". You see how we are being viiewed and treated.
I'm fast losing hope, though I must continue to spit and spat.
Care Charlie

You do Molly proud, BIlly. Indeed ya' do!
FB - Fart For Feedom Charlie
wrote the following in rec.gardens:
[...]

They said on the news today that he's having his colon examined tomorrow. Personally, I think that's a big waste of time and money.
After all, he's had his own head up his arse for years now, so why bother paying someone else to look?

roftl. That said, we are not that clever either. Reading in the paper today there will need to be 38,000 ha of maize planted, we are told, to feed a bio-fuel plant planned in the Waikato. That equates to 415,ooo tonnes of maize to make 150 million litres of ethanol. Oh well, we don't want breakfast cereal any more anyway. We'll just drink ethanol.
rob

today
The dumb way, maize growers will like the rising prices, the chicken farmers won't. http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikatotimes/4130939a6415.html Te Kowhai maize grower John Hodge welcomed the prospect of an ethanol plant in the region. He said New Zealand lagged behind other countries on biofuel production and wanted to see the Government subsidise set-up costs as in the US. Mr Hodge received just under $300 per tonne for his last crop, which is used as chicken feed. He said that growers were expecting rises for the coming season, and were also hopeful more demand from a local plant might help increase prices in future.
The smart way, shit of a good idea http://www.stuff.co.nz/4132221a23399.html Air New Zealand and airliner manufacturer Boeing are secretly working with Blenheim-based biofuel developer Aquaflow Bionomic Corporation to create the world's first environmentally friendly aviation fuel, made of wild algae. If the project pans out the small and relatively new New Zealand company could lead the world in environmentally sustainable aviation fuel. It's understood Air NZ is undertaking risk analysis. If everything stacks up it will make an aircraft available on the Tasman to test the biofuel. The fuel is essentially derived from bacterial pond scum created through the photosynthesis of sunlight and carbon dioxide on nutrient-rich water sources such as sewage ponds.
And equally good, another shit of a good idea http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikatotimes/4107504a14335.html It's not rocket science, says Niwa's Rupert Craggs. Recently he and a few others demonstrated how easy it is to produce electricity from the biogas that comes off farm effluent ponds, using a converted generator. "We plugged in two fan heaters, three spotlights and a three-phase motor - and they ran for over two hours. At full throttle it generates 13kW, we were running it at nine or ten." Such technology is not novel, he says. "Most large domestic wastewater treatment plants capture biogas. There are also farm-based technologies but these have not been cost-effective. What we're trying to show is that farmers can do it themselves
George.com wrote:

This is one of the most promising methods I've read about: http://www.changingworldtech.com/press_room/index.asp
They have a prototype refinery near Carthage, MO that makes oil out of turkey guts and feathers from a nearby processing plant. They can also refine sewage, old tires, contaminated food, garbage; basically anything with lots of carbon in it.
Unfortunately I haven't heard much from them in about a year. I think their process doesn't fit the federal definition of "biofuel" so they miss out on the subsidies going to corn-based ethanol, etc.
Bob

of
farmers
plant
biofuel
the
is
might
with
the
algae. If

could
understood
make an

sources
few
biogas
plugged
ran
it
domestic
processing animal carcass waste into fuel is not a new idea but it is a smart one. We get tallow from meat works that can be further refined into bio-diesel. Problem is getting a big enough feed source. These folk obviously have access to a reasonably big poultry slaughter supply. One bit amused me, talking about avian flu. "In response, countries have begun planning in anticipation of an outbreak. CWT could be instrumental in helping to reform these infected animals into valuable oil that is both renewable and safe."
The tyre bit is interesting. We had a joker a while back who said he could get oil from plastic waste & tyres. Maybe the costs are too might to make it profitable at present.
rob
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 18:45:33 -0700, Persephone wrote:

No disagreements with ya at all.
Here's an article about another lower-cost alternative to feed crops for ethanol production.
Charlie
----------------------------------
http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/07/17/2576 /
Why Milk Costs More Than Gas
Excerpt:
American ethanol is made from corn, and the more corn we use to feed our cars, the more expensive is the corn left over for our livestock. Ergo, No Milk Today.
If ethanol we must have, we could import it from Brazil, where they can make it cheaper from sugar cane than Americans can make it from corn. But Brazilian ethanol, thanks to the agribusiness lobby and a 54-cent-per-gallon import tariff, is kept out of the country.
Politicians of both parties, mad for winning elections in corn-growing Iowa, do not mention the cheaper Brazilian stuff. Their silence on lesser-cost alternative ethanol sources may help them please Midwestern agribusiness interests and just about nobody else.

There is also nothing stopping us from growing more sugar cane here instead of wasting grain crops on biofuel. There are many sugar can fields in Louisiana.
Biofuel can be made from waste straw and weeds. Why the hell are we wasting food crops on it?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Because of SOBs, rich farmers, like two that I personally know, that have plenty of money to contribute to our US Rep, and get an ethanol plant built within our district.
Money talks and bullshit walks.
Course you knew that.
Charlie
Charlie wrote:

Amen! choir here...........
rae

And when I saw amerika you know it blew my mind.
Try finding that a line from a tune from 1969 +- 2.
Eric Burdon I thought however no luck yet.
Bill who thinks of musicians and actors as our spokespeople. Some stink some do not.
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
William Wagner wrote:

that was a good dozen years before my time, but i'll see if i can help you find it.............. rae
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:31:52 -0400, William Wagner

And I think of actors and musicians, as people hired to entertain me, that's all, why would they think that they speak for me.

You're listening to the wrong music then, friend.
And missing some good philosophy.
Chillout Charlie

Because they interpret in a way I find entertaining. I do not take my cues from artists and actors. People who live in a quasi-fairyland aren't the same people I want feeding me information. I like them enough in their element, but that's about it.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Twern't I, Billy. I did look it up on Amazon, I've never read it, and don't want to get into that particular bit - what the US gets into has nothing to do with my views on entertainers. It does seem as though the entertainers will determine their own causes, though, and ballyhoo them about like they're preaching the gosphel. I don't listen to anyone's gosphel.

I don't get it, Billy. If it isn't interesting, then it's not entertaining. It would be nice if education was always entertaining, but it isn't. Sometimes it's hard work to learn. That's the beauty of it. I don't need things interpreted for me, I'll learn about them on my own - then calm my mind with entertainment. See the difference?
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

No, I'm not. I am definitely much more conservative minded than you. Note I didn't say that I am totally conservative, I think you can see by our other discussions that I'm not. Broad brushes and all.
I never once said there were no nice 'Moslems' (whatever they are, I know only the word 'Muslims'), nor that all actors are idiots. Putting words into my mouth to make me look bad? I expected better from you.
I am now done discussing anything political or worldly with you. Let's just stick to gardening.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Indeed it can. Misunderstandings are quite common. One wouldn't think so, but it is truth.
Charlie