Gutter Compost

I've got to clean gutters soon. Seems like the gunk that accumulates should be good for the garden, being partly decomposed like it is.
I can't think of any reasons not to use.
--
Care
Charlie
<Charlie> wrote in message

It's delicious, too.

It makes a nice crunchy layer in a dish of lasagna, assuming there are still some maple seeds & twigs that haven't completely turned to mush.

important trace minerals to your diet.
Val

Don't forget the fiberglass and tar. If you are really lucky perhaps some asbestos .
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

I am harvesting rainwater this year, so any fiberglass or tar will be a problem there as well. Garden is just to the north of the house, so wind blows residue from roof into garden.
Gotta be as careful as possible and do the best you can.
Charlie

I'd guess the newer homes contaminate at a higher rate quickly. Then drop off emissions in time.
Best practice to balance on this stuff is a question I'd like to see addressed. My home 35 years dealt with the issue in ignorance.
Not much has changed except water use is way reduced.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

I'm counting on that. The roof is 12 years old on this house.

Ignorance is bliss, eh? ;-)

You're saying you harvest water? I'm counting on reduced use. Rainwater has to be healthier for garden than treated municipal water.
CHarlie

Intentional. I've a 350 gallon poly tank that I'm hooking to a downspout. I'll water using a submersible pump from our koi ponds that are no more. Also have several 55gal pickle barrels that are terra cotta colored for other downspouts.
Oz on the other hand is harvesting unintentionally.
Charlie
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 00:48:55 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

From whose point of view, yours or the worms?
Charlie wrote:

Strange you mention that! Before putting on gutter covers so I don't have to clean gutters, it was not unusual to find nice fat earthworms in the gutter when cleaning. The only explanation I have is, we have lots of birds and some must have dropped worms in the gutter on the way to feed the young.
Tom J

I've found them too!
Last spring several mornings I found twings and leaves and some gunk on the pickup hood and was a bit puzzled until I caught one of the resident robins scratching in the gutter and take off with a worm.
Charlie
On 3/19/2008 4:13 PM, Charlie wrote:

If you mean your rain gutters, go ahead.
If you mean the street gutters, do you know what your neighbors dumped into the street? Do you know what kinds of herbicides might have run off their front lawns?
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Of course. I should have been more specific.

Let alone oil residue, brake dust, trash, butts, road salt...
Thanks Charlie
"Charlie" wrote in message

There will probably be all kinds of seeds in the gutter debris. So, be prepared to do a lot of weeding if you use it in the garden.
MaryL

It's a good source of fiber, too.