growing zukes for seed

I'd like to let some go for seed for next year. How big is big enough? I just got back from vacation and picked two that are longer than my arm ( my house-sitter ignored my request to pick them when they were small) and the seeds still look small and white. Should I compost these and try again? Or will they germinate after they have dried some?

Dawn

Reply to
Dawn

If you have a way to dry them (food dehydrator or oven), try some like that before you give up. From here last year, I understand they are good dried. I planted one plant this year to try it. The first one was ready Sunday, but I gave that one to a dear neighbor who loves the stuff (Really!!!) and has no luck growing them. I think it's the 3-minute a day watering they get, no chance to put down roots and no real water in the soil.

It seems logical that chips from them would be good. You have those two monsters, give it a try. Maybe even fruit leather, or vegetable leather?

Glenna not a fan

Reply to
Glenna Rose

Squashes are so prone to outcrossing that you could never be sure what will result in the next generation. Zukes will cross with most pumpkins, acorn squash (and several other types of winter squash), all sorts of summer squash, and many gourds. You could end up with something interesting, something completely dull, or something inedibly bitter, hard-skinned, and warty.

To get ripe seeds, you'd have to let the fruit stay on the plant until autumn. The stems would get to be like wood and the rinds very hard.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Ah, thanks. It sounds like I am better off just hunting down another packet of seeds.

Dawn

Reply to
Dawn