Growing tomatoes under lights

I'm growing some tomato plants under a 400 watt metal halide lamp. They are about three weeks old and several are a few days from blooming. Right now I have them under 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness.

Should I continue to keep them under the MH lamp or should I switch over to my high pressure sodium lamp? Also, should I change the light schedule at all?

Reply to
Deuteros

Tomatoes = long day, since they bear fruit during summer. I'd switch to HPS anyway, since it costs less to run per usable lumen.

Reply to
Father Haskell

My tomatoes first flower around the summer solstice. After that they set fruit and flower some more as the days begin to shorten.

Reply to
Billy

Which would be close to 18-6.

Up until the equinox, with declining production until killing frost?

Hague

Father Haskell

Ay, Father, but we dunna all have the luck to live in, Nova Scotia isn't it?

Reply to
Billy