Growing Tomato plants, anyone?

I got tired of not having any good tomatoes to eat, and have decided to grow my own indoors. I got the seeds out of a plant we had outside, and planted 2 seeds. Since it took so long to start growing, I thought the seeds were duds and so I planted more incase they all were duds.
They're really taking off! Anyone in Northeast Indiana (this is a live plant we're talking about) interested in a couple just starting tomato plants? These are one of the sandwhich types, celebrity, I think.
Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

lmfao One of the "sandwich types" are those determinates or indeterminates? Just my curious side coming out. Thomas

Thomas wrote: > These are one of the sandwich types, celebrity, I think

I have no idea what you're talking about... By sandwich type I mean it's big enough to put on a sandwich or hamburger and have a slice cover most of the bread/bun.
Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

Ah, Beefsteak tomatoes... ;-)
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you

A determinate tomato stops growing when it gets to a certain size. An indeterminate never stops growing until it dies.

So basically, a determinate tomato will grow to a specific size, ripen, and then you eat it. (Are Romas like this? The ones that cross pollonated grew quite large.)
Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

No. It means that the tomato PLANT grows to a certain size, It tends to set most of its fruit at one time. Useful for commercial growers.
--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation,

'Celebrity' is determinate. Out of interest, why are you 'lmfao'?
s.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net writes:

This reminds me of the cat I had when my husband and I married. Her name was Baby; she loved to go into paper sacks. My husband would twirl her around his head for two or three rotations, then let her out. (The first time I was horrified and asked him to not do it anymore!!!) She would stagger around for a while, go up to him, rub his leg, then get back in the sack and look at him until he did it again.
Oddest thing! Baby loved to go for car rides, and he wanted to take her up in the light plane, which I said absolutely not to, because she would have likely liked that as well. Even if she did like it, it would have been horribly unsafe, for us and for those on the ground, if she freaked.
My current in-house cat also loves to get into paper sacks and will hide in the back peering out. She is the "find any little spot to hide and watch" cat, loves baskets, purses, etc. She is not, however, the one who loves the garlic chives. Those chives are not even safe from him outside!
Cats, catnip. This fall, I located two large bird cages to put around catnip plants so they can be planted in the ground. In the past, they have been in hanging pots in the apricot tree and are still subject to getting demolished.<g> One night I looked outside to see a neighbor's cat jumping up at the pot trying to get his/her share.
Thanks for your sig line.
Glenna
snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) wrote:

So I gather you changed your mind after you saw how much Baby liked it. Did your husband tell you how baby trained him to twirl her?
One time I used this sig file:
Sometimes when I play with my cat I make him to go around in a circle really fast until he gets so dizzy that he can't stand up anymore. Then I make him to go around in the opposite direction. I call it winding the cat. I think I wind him too much because the clock in his stomach runs fast.
Someone accused me of abusing my cat. I had to explain that he LOVES it.

My cat has loved catnip ever since I adopted him when he was three months old. I have been thinking of growing some cat marijuana for him but haven't gotten around to it yet.

You are very welcome.
--
I wonder who is sillier, my cat who takes laundry basket rides
around the house or me who trained him to take laundry basket

That's especially fun to do with a laser pen. ;-) I've had up to 6 cats chasing the laser dot on the floor, down the hall and up the wall! <lol> It's hilarious and they love it! I've got to get another one. The one I had wore out.

It's cheap and easy! I had a ton of Catnip come up in the asparagus patch! I suspect there were seeds mixed in with the soil around those roots. :-) A very happy accident and the cats just adore the fresh stuff!

Kitties are special little family members aren't they?
--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net writes:

Had to change my mind when she loved it so much. How did Baby train him? Actually, I think she went in the sack and he was being just plain onery, though the first time, he was quite "gentle" about it. However, when she went right back in the sack and looked at him, obviously wanted to do it again, it became quite a game with them which they both enjoyed.

Sometimes people just don't realize that if the cats were being damaged in any way, one, we wouldn't do it, and two, if they were, we sure wouldn't tell anyone!
Besides, if the cat didn't like to go in circles, he/she wouldn't play the game. Cats are an independent lot.

Oh, you really must, they enjoy it so much. Sometimes, my female will play with the leaf for several hours before she finally eats it, like anticipation. <g>
Glenna