Growing Oyster mushrooms

Page 1 of 2
I have some older oyster mushrooms that are a little too far gone to eat. I'd like to cultivate them. When I did a google search on the topic, I either got instructions that were very complicated, or hits for people selling kits.
I don't care about sure-fire methods, so having something complex is not worth it. I need something relatively simple that has a chance of working, as opposed to excellent chance of working.
Any suggestions or URLs you could recommend?
--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
βœ–

I'm surprised that google did not turn up our conversation here about the toilet roll method. ;-)
Take two unbleached toilet paper rolls and seal each one in a plastic ziplock. Pour enough boiling water over each one to just get it nice and wet.
Let cool, then puree the mushrooms in a sanitized food processor or blender, (I used bleach to clean mine) and stuff that into the holes of the toilet rolls.
Keep sealed and in the dark for 6 weeks, then take them out into the light and punch some holes in the bags.
I used a similar method to this, only I used an ice chest. I got one flush from that, but later lost my culture to the heat. I had them out in the greenhouse. This is better done indoors as they fruit best at between 70 and 80 degrees.
Good luck and keep us posted! :-)
K.
--
Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
βœ–

I'd forgotten about that. Yeah, very cool. I wonder if anyone has tried this with other species? Gary Williams
exract "APAP" to reply
Add pictures here
βœ–

Well, with cardboard, a similar method is supposed to work with Wavy caps...... ;-) (P. cyanescens)
K.
--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

βœ–

Warning:- Oyster mushrooms produce a vast quantity of spores. It is recommended that growing them is *not* done indoors as inhaling the spores could result in a nasty fungus infection in your lungs (even producing mushrooms there!?).

--
Edwin Hutton (use edDOThuttonATlsaevaPOINTuklinuxSTOPnet for email)
...Grant we beseech Thee that, ... during our journeys through the

sort of like those worms in your teeth from eating at Taco Bell?
Add pictures here
βœ–
you might check out an article in the most recent Mother Earth News. It's like 7 pages of info/sources on growing shrooms. Lots of info on oyster mushrooms, winecaps, and shitakes.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:50:56 GMT, "Claire Petersky"

You can grow the dam' things on newspaper, or rather in newspaper- stuffed cardboard boxes . . . .
Then IIRC you induce fruiting by tossing the boxes in water for a day or so, and allowing them to drain.
They're (wonderfully) meaty, so I imagine the yield in terms of caps per pound of newspaper is probably pretty low.
-- .sigzip*
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (mimus) wrote:

Can you point me at any links? I got some oyster mushrooms at a local (Hudson Valley, NY) garlic festival, and want very much to grow my own. I'll likely start with a kit from mushroompeople, but would like to do it "from scratch."
Peace,
βœ–

I'm starting mine using toilet paper rolls inside of an ice chest after eating the mushroom caps and grinding up the stems and bases in the food processor. :-) As soon as the paper is colinized, I will introduce hardwood chips and shavings and surround the paper rolls with that.
I have mycelia starting from the ground tissue already.
I did this this spring and got one flush before losing my cultures to the heat, so am re-starting. :-)
K.
--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

βœ–
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:28:50 -0500, Katra

About how big was this flush? in other words, did it look like a worthwhile initial yield?
-- .sigzip*
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (mimus) wrote:

No... but it was my first try. ;-) I anticipate a better yield now that I finally got my hands on some decene hardwood shavings!
At least they flushed, so the "science project" has some hope if I feed them right this time.
I'll be sure to report in a couple of months once things get going better, if they do.
If all else fails, go here:
http://www2.mailordercentral.com/fungi/Prodinfo.ASP?NUMBER=SSPO100&VARIAT ION=&AITEM=1&MITEM=1
Reasonable price for a good spawn start. If mine fails THIS time, I'll be getting one, but I think I've done enough research for it to work now...
I hope anyway!
k.
--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

βœ–

I realize that the hanging festoons of weird shrooms in the movie "Men With Brooms" were likely oysters. And that it's time to call my local power company and see when they're doing line maintenance. They're more that willing to dump truckloads of wood chips close to where they're working. I've used them for mulch in the past, but new horizons open...
Cheers!
βœ–
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:23:42 GMT, Gary Woods

I suspect you're talking about tree- trimmings here, since I don't think anything'd do very well on used telephone or power poles or railroad ties but _Armillariella_.
Or maybe a polypore of some kind or other.
(I wonder if it would taste like creosote? or whether anyone allergic to creosote would notice?)
-- .sigzip*
Add pictures here
βœ–

Mmmm... perfect. ;-) I had to go out of my way to find clean hardwood shavings locally. <lol> Had two woodworkers willing to share as they did not want their stuff to end up in the landfill. They were environmentally motivated. Same here. ;-) I talked to one of them about growing the Oysters and gave him a bag of fresh mushrooms from Central Market in trade for the stuff, so _he_ kept a bag of shavings back so he can play with it as well!
Gotta love it.
Be sure to report your results! I want to "seed" some dead oak stumps with spawn once I can get it going again.
K.
--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

βœ–
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:57:43 -0500, Katra

Gills from a specimen too weathered to collect work just fine.
-- .sigzip*
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (mimus) wrote:

I didn't use Gills, I ate the caps. I use the tissue from just the stems and bases. :-)
Would I need to use Gills to "seed" logs? I thought I could use spawn/mycelia?
K.
--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

βœ–
If you are going to inoculate stumps or logs, look for tulip poplar. In my area it is the preferred substrate. Steve

βœ–

Can you mail me some? ;-)
Trees available in my area include Mesquite, Cedar, Privett ash, Post oak, Elm, and Hackberry.
Which do you think would work best?
K.
Add pictures here
βœ–