Growing kale in pots

Last year I grew about fifteen Lacinato or Dinosaur kale plants in 16" pots and had a good crop. I ate them regularly 3-4 times/week for about 9 months.
This year I removed the plants from the pots and it seems that the roots are only a fraction the size of the pots - about 6-8" diameter- suggesting that there are still lots of nutrients in the old soil.
Last year I bought all the potting soil and now I'm preparing to plant again and wondering if some of the old soil could be re-used this year with the new potting soil. Has anyone tried this before?
I now have a batch of 10 - week-old seedlings ready for transplanting. The previous plants had no diseases and the only bothersome things were whitefiles and white butterflies. I live in north California.
Comments appreciated.
I reuse potting soil all the time for house plants with no ill effects. I've never tried it with food crops, though. Is kale a heavy feeder? If not, it may work fine, especially if you are giving them plant food.
Utopia in Decay -- The future is coming to get you. http://home.comcast.net/~kevin.cherkauer/site /
Kevin Cherkauer

Thanks Kevin for the info. I'm not sure what kind of feeder kale is classified as. I will try a few experiments, like replacing half the old soil.
Kevin Cherkauer wrote:

When I reuse potting soil I add Osmocote time released ferts to it prior to planting. Have had good results. Nan in DE

I kind of do the same thing. I will mix it 50-50 with compost if I have enough around, or with topsoil from my garden center if I have to. I also toss in a short handful of 10-10-10.
Chris
Chris wrote:

Thanks Chris - that's good to know.
RF wrote:

I did some repotting today and found a solution to my initial question. I scooped out the soil from last years pots until there were no more traces of roots. Usually that was roughly about half the soil. I refilled with new soil and transplanted.