Growing green beans

Does anybody know anything about growing green beans? We've always raised green beans every year but this year it's been so hot. They're blooming but the blossoms aren't setting. People have said that if it's too hot the blossoms won't set. It's finally cooled off. Will we finally start getting beans or are the plants locked into a specific growth cycle where if they're past a certain point they won't produce anything. They're an old fashion pole bean variety and the vines are very healthy. There's just no beans on them. I don't know the exact variety. The seeds came from my uncle. They're the seeds he saved from the previous year's crop, and those came from the crop before that. They are the best green beans I've ever tasted. So far we've found a total of 10 beans from 40 plants.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

If the plant is still healthy they will commence to bear again.
They're an old fashion pole bean variety and the

Look after them for a while longer there is a good chance they will have more beans unless you have a short growing season and it now gets too cold!
David

Thanks. According to all the maps, we live in zone 6. Usually the first frost doesn't occur until around the early part of October. I hope they start producing soon. The vines are covered with blossoms right now.

Thanks. According to all the maps, we live in zone 6. Usually the first frost doesn't occur until around the early part of October. I hope they start producing soon. The vines are covered with blossoms right now. _________________________________ I've read that one way of improving bean set is to hose them at night. I don't know why this is supposed to work. Perhaps it works to cool them down????? I guess you could always put a cold compress ont heir forehead and give them an aspirin to bering their temps down. (Sorry about that - but I was serious aobut having read aobut hosing them at night)

My green beans - bush and pole, were very pretty with lots of blooms but it was too hot here as well. The bush beans plants shriveled up and I've planted kale in their stead - first time.
The lima bean plants have done the same thing but the plants are still vigerous so I'm hoping to get some beans now - we've dropped into the high 80's, low 90's. I haven't grown lima beans before so no clue what will happen.
We have been watering early evening so maybe there's hope for the limas.
Kate mid TN, USA

On Aug 28, 5:16pm, snipped-for-privacy@notme.com wrote:

Thanks for the tips!
We've got beans now. I kept them watered and now that it's turned cooler they're starting to produce like crazy. My aunt, who also got some of the same seeds, pulled all her vines up early in the summer because they were dried up. Perhaps if she had kept them watered like I did and be patient she would have had beans now too. By the way, the variety of bean is called Barnes Mountain Bean.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

cool beans! :) or cool, beans!
songbird