Growing asparagus

We nurtured some asparagus plants from seed in a planter box for a year, trnplanting to the well cultivated soil in the garden in June. They are growing well, I believe. Small shoots come up, which taste delicious, but not big enough in diameter to prepare for a meal. Left alonw, they shoot up into tall, thin lacy growth. I understand they have to go through 2-3 seasons before big enough. In the meanwhile, should I be trimming them back once in a while? I did cut them back to nearly nothing when I transplanted them.

TIA Ed

Reply to
Jag Man

Ed:

No, they need all the foliage to grow roots. Cutting them back will make more foliage, not roots. Roots are what you want.

John!

Jag Man wrote:

Reply to
GA Pinhead

I agree. I dont eat mine until they get as big as a pencil.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Thanks, both!