growing a mango tree in a big pot

Hello..

I live relatively near the coast of middle South Carolina. I know mango trees prefer dryer and more tropical environments, but I recently purhased one that is currently about a foot high. The man I purchased it from told me to put it in a bigger pot and to bring that pot in before it got cold. Then, he said it could be planted in the ground when it got warm again.

A few questions I forgot to ask:

1) I have put the mango tree into not only a big pot, but really a huge pot. This pot is about 2 feet in diameter at the top and the diameter looks like it gets closer to about a foot or so towards the bottom but the pot itself is also about 2 feet high. I have filled this thing with some rocks at the bottom and various organic potting soils and have stuck the mango tree in there...I'm wondering if maybe I could just keep it in the pot ? Or will it eventually outgrow this pot, even though it's big?

2) I realize fruit is probably a long shot, but what can I do to try to make it fruit?

Thanks

Reply to
Zarlot531

Hi, Temperature will be a problem planted in the ground. You would need a greenhouse around it. I've seen them fruited (SoFla) in 30 gallon pots with judicious pruning above and below soil level. Not an ideal situation but can be done. Temps below 40f should be avoided. Below 30f for more than a couple hours will have to be avoided. mmmm mangoes

HTH -_- how

Reply to
how

Well I will probably just keep it in the pot then. It's about a 30 gallon pot actually. How am I supposed to prune below soil level though? If I just prune above soil level, how long would the plant survive until it used up all of the soil? The soil I used is pretty nutritious as far as I know.. i used a blend of organic Miracle grow, organic potting soil, some worm waste/fertilizer as well... but I'm just wondering how long it could survive on 30 gallons of soil without pruning below the soil...as honestly I would probably end up killing it if I tried to do that I'm thinking...then again, it might be a good idea to do that and give it new soil at the same time...

Reply to
Zarlot531

From mangos, I know nothing but if you give grapes all the water and nitrogen that they want, they will vegetate and not produce any significant fruit. A friend of mine lives in St. Lucia where the ground is laterite (like clay but very porous) with rock. The mango does fine in St. Lucia without special attention. I fear that you maybe over feeding it.

Reply to
Billy

Hi, You have a while to go before root pruning, take it out of the pot in a couple years and if it is really pot bound then take an inch or so off the sides and the bottom and replace with new soil. Leave the rest of the soil alone. Billy is correct about over feeding, I would not have fed until new growth appeared. Use a balanced blend with minor elements until it is old enough to fruit. You have about eight years or so before you could expect fruit. Any idea if it is grafted and if so what variety is it? BTW, if it is grafted, fruiting will be sooner.

HTH -_- how

Reply to
how

Well, I don't think I used too much fertilizer really... about a teaspoon full around the plant of the organic miracle grow fertilizer...i used Coast of Maine's potting soil for most of the dirt along with a couple bags of miracle grow's organic potting soil and garden soil... and a little bit of worm waste mixed in... all of this in around a 30 gallon pot...

Reply to
Zarlot531