Ground Beef Recall Expanded

Ferd Farkel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

cheap (comparatively), easy & it uses up a lot of cuts that most people nowadays don't want or even know what to do with. very few people want roasts (take too long for "busy cooks") & they have no clue what to do when confronted with anything besides a steak or ground beef. before fast food became widely available, there were very few steak houses, because there was nowhere for the other cuts to go. now it just gets ground up & sold as burger. lee

Reply to
enigma

"R M. Watkin" wrote in news:47079b97 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

i've never seen the stunner used on the back of an animal's head. it, like the .22, is positioned in that X between the ears & eyes. the 'stunner' actually kills the animal instantly, so 'stunner' is a misnomer. we used these to kill animals when i was in college in the early 70s. i was an ag major. lee

Reply to
enigma

and Fat: A Severe Case of Mistaken Consensus

Reply to
dr-solo

My point in making the distinction between empty calories and not empty calories had more to do with the absolute nutritional health of the body than it did to show that fats were not good for us.

I think there have also been studies done where genetically tested individuals with no obesity at all have high cholesterol/triglicerides as part of their basic make-up.

If we eat nothing but sugar and fat and stay under the allotted calorie count which determines how rapidly we lose, gain or maintain weight, we will have malnutrition. That's why I said good/bad calories.

Reply to
Jangchub

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:C32BA9C2.6F12E% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

Thanks, Cheryl. The transplants are doing well and beginning to take off. I'm debating whether to winter them inside or let them stay out in a western NY winter.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

snipped-for-privacy@sakadawa.org writes: [snip]

[snip]

Point of interest: We are no allowed to have "farm animals" by city code but are allowed to have hens (not roosters or pea fowl).

I am curious. How can a Macaw be "poop trained?" As I recall from Northwest Birds class, one of the many and actually incredible adaptations of birds for them to be lighter so they fly is the "reduction" in the intestinal tract which leaves them with no control of their body waste meaning they cannot be housebroken. With that bit of information, it was a bit easier to be not quite so critical of our feathered friends.

But back to the question, how does one house-break a creature that cannot control when/where it happens?

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

A book to start conversations in any event, however in this world where the FDA or USDA are not allowed to make food recommendations because of various marketing-groups financial pressure on members of congress, it may be too soon to say that the world of nutrition is turned up-side down. I'm not saying that Mr. Taubes is a fellow traveler but let us all remember that Exxon-Mobil was paying up to $10,000 for favorable articles to be published. So as we contemplate Mr. Taubes book, let's take it with a grain of salt, before we declare the new millennium.

Apparently Mr. Taubes makes an argument that all calories are not equal (they are) i.e. fat calories can be counted differently than carb calories. Please keep in mind that each gram of carb or protein contain

4 kcals of energy, whereas each gram of fat (liquid or solid) contains 9 kcals of energy. A calorie is a calorie regardless of its' provenance.

While dietary cholesterol may not be a problem, it is still my understanding that saturated fats that are solid at room temperature, elicit a serum cholesterol response. As the beneficiary of by-pass surgery, I'll take a wait and see attitude about saturated fats.

Mr. Taubes is reported to show that not all meat eating cultures suffer from coronary heart disease as western culture does. This is addressed in Michael Pollans book "Dilemma" as the difference between grass raised and grain raised animals, no matter be they beef or salmon. The grass raised beef and wild salmon having higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids that the feed lot beef or the farmed salmon. He poses the question of which makes a better purchase, the cheap food or the food with omega-3, beta-carotenes, and vitamin E; quantity or quality? In the wild, humanity as hunter-gathers had an omega-6 to omega-3 ratio of 1 to 1 in their nutrition. In post civilized culture today, the ratio is 10 to 1, which directly leads to more cardiovascular disease.

Before breaking out the bacon rinds, you may want to consider that more veggies, a little less protein, and a big dollop of exercise will help keep you stay on the right side of the grass.

dr-solo, I'll look forward to your review of Mr. Taubes book.

Reply to
Billy

Have you done a vetting of Mr. Taubes? I havent had the time, but it seems to me he makes a living out of goring the ox of the powers that be. He takes delight in debunking "popular" and maybe junk science. I would be very surprised he is a shill for the pig farmers of America

"Please keep in mind that each gram of carb or protein contain

As my normal eating patterns are high protein/low carb (I am allergic to wheat, corn) I can say that a bit of fat is going to turn off my hunger center while a bit of carbs is going to spike my glucose, spike insulin, and I will be hungry in a half hour.

The problem is you believe that decreasing cholesterol is going to save you from a heart attack... unhappily, it wont. There is no scientific proof. High cholesterol is a symptom of damage in the arteries brought on by ???? most likely infectious disease (like chlamydia, google chlamydia heart disease Madison Wisconsin) The link to heart disease is all carbs that cause a spike in insulin. Maybe the carbs cause allergic reaction in the immune cells of the arteries (notice that veins dont get clogged with plaque, why not? altho they do get inflamed).

solid margarine was the "answer" to "fear of butter". dont use margarine anymore. use natural fats like butter or oils.

The point is this. I dont eat as much as typical Americans, period. I sure dont eat as much meat as typical Americans no matter what diet they are on unless they are vegan. Yesterday for lunch I had a small chicken thigh, for dinner I had salad with "things" one of which was the sliced remainder of the stuffed pork loin I made the night before. Not one of those huge restaurant salads either. We mostly eat chicken and eggs and cheese. I try to remember to use beef and pork once a week. I could give up pork but I do like a sprinkle of bacon on my cottage cheese in the morning. I dont get the pork rind thing every time they do those reports on Atkins. I dont eat pork rinds.. gag.

I am never hungry. I have to remind myself to eat breakfast cause I forget I will be light headed later if I dont. Even tho my husband "cheats" by eating raisins, grapes and other high sugar fruit AND trail mix, and candy, and .... , his "cholesterol" is fine, his triglycerides are extremely low, his HDL high. My "cholesterol" is very high. But I have just done a round of anti-candida meds to get rid of a chronic infection with candida. I have to take very high bolus of antibiotics when I get my teeth cleaned every 4 months (due to prolapsed mitral valve) and I think this is the cause. I destroyed my good bacteria. Thankfully, the dentist just told me I DONT have to take that antibiotic anymore.

There is NO REAS>>

Reply to
dr-solo

I experience the same thing. High carb meals make me ravenous and prone to overeat.

Low carb dieting turns off my hunger and keeps ME in better control.

Not all calories are equal. ;-)

Reply to
Omelet

Just call me sensitive but my recent exposure to the term "junk science" is in connection with people who don't believe in evolution, or that human activities are responsible for acid rain, ozone holes, or global warming,e.g. it's the kind of phrase that Rush Limbaugh would use. I'm not tarring you with that brush, just signaling that I lose some objectivity when I see it.

I'm not accusing Mr. Taubes of being a mercenary who obscures nutritional knowledge or promotes high profit products for Big Agra. He has had some impressive reviews and some, less so. I'm just cautioning a suspension of judgement until we have digested what he has to say.

One knock on him is, according to the reviewer (GINA KOLATA, October 7,

2007,
". . . the problem with a book like this one, which goes on and on in great detail about experiments new and old in areas ranging from heart disease to cancer to diabetes, is that it can be hard to know what has been left out. For example, Taubes argues at length that people get fat because carbohydrates in their diet drive up the insulin level in the blood, which in turn encourages the storage of fat. His conclusion: all calories are not alike. A calorie of fat is much less fattening than a calorie of sugar."

I don't believe cholesterol causes heart attacks but I am impressed that the Japanese had so few, when they ate their traditional diet. Now that they eat like Americans, they seem to be dying like Americans. That's not belief, that's empiricism.

At present my choice of diet tends to the high veggie, relatively low protein diet (stir fries with some meat and no rice). Additionally, I'm trying to increase the amount of omega-3 in my diet by incorporating purslane, where ever I can. An exception is made for Sat. nights which, chez nous, is known as bone night, when we have barbecued, smoked, pork, spare ribs, and the dogs and cats get to clean up the scraps.

Of course, if I can get game meat, then all bets are off until I am definitively told that it is bad for me.

Reply to
Billy

innews: snipped-for-privacy@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

I can usually get chuck cheaper than hamburger. As I say, it improves most recipes that call for the latter. Chili con carne is a good example (*especially* when you substitute beer for water -- gives it an agreeable sweet taste with no identifiable hint of beer). Excellent served over rice. Be adventurous with the beans. Don't just throw in a can of kidney beans -- too boring. Throw in a can each of garbanzos and black beans, too.

Cook it just like ground beef. Sear it in oil with black pepper and a teaspoon of chopped garlic to marry the flavors early. No great culinary skills needed beyond turning on the stove and stirring.

How much is it from how well McDonalds has us trained from childhood?

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

And McDonald knows. They get their flavor from smoke stacks in New Jersey.

Reply to
Billy

How very true this is and we need to take this into account when designing our garden strategy.

Albert Szent-Gyorgyi, the Hungarian biochemist and Nobel Prize winner for medicine once said, "Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water."

We depend on water for survival. It circulates through our bodies and the land, replenishing nutrients and carrying away waste. It is passed down like stories over generations -- from ice-capped mountains to rivers to oceans.

Historically water has been a facet of ritual, a place of gathering and the backbone of community..........continued at above link.

Reply to
Charlie

Ok, this sounds really good, but I can find no references to anything like it, so I found some cranberry chutney recipes I am going to put together and build one that sounds like what I want.

This weekend will be my annual chutney making time, I love chutney, though the rest of the dunderbunnies in my family aren't too enthused.

Ha......all the more for me!

Charlie, now dreaming of a crisp fall morning with hot coffee and all that goes with the hunt.

Reply to
Charlie

Ferd Farkel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

i wouldn't know. there weren't fast food franchises around until i was in my teens (that is, they hadn't really expanded so much. they existed, just not where i lived). i have cookbooks from WWII era & earlier which ask for cuts of meat i *never* see in stores. i can only vaguely remember cutting them in meat cutting class in 1972. i'm afraid i didn't pay close attention since i took the class while in my vegetarian phase. OTOH, i have a 7 year old & hamburgers are way down on his list of foods he'd prefer. i think the current top of the list is artichokes. he loooooves artichokes. lee

Reply to
enigma

Creosote? That's occasionally used for smoke flavor, by Burger King in particular, IIRC.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

????????????

You slip the lead today? Didn't you have grapes to abuse?

Reply to
Charlie

Ferd, get a grip. You're trying too hard here. Your not bleeding likely to find a wood fire in one of those smoke stacks. You must have been thinking of chimneys. You are a comedien (consider getting a large black board as a visual aid). If you want creosote, go suck on a post. It's cheaper than a whopper. You might want to add some mustard, onion, tomato, and pickle though. No, I was referring to New Jersey as the original "Skunk Works". If it is a smell or a taste, it's made in New Jersey.

Reply to
Billy

The lab is taking its' hits. There are three of us. I'm down with a cold, another is out with a swollen elbow, and the third poor bastard has Sat. off. I have to scab up by at least by Sat. One person in the lab makes for a long day (12-14 hrs.), but the overtime is nice:-)

More rain expected for Fri. here in the wine country. I suspect that the harvest finished today. Sun and sugars go up. Rain and sugars, and acids go down. Some grapes are at 25% sugar for the second time, and then they start to rot. Harvest over but the wine making goes on.

Reply to
Billy

Damn, sounds like it's you po' bastids are gettin' abused rather than the grapes. Hope the cold clears and hope the the person with the swollen elbow doesn't have cellulitis. I have had episodes of that in my elbow, about once per decade. Nearly went gangrenous the first go I had, and it happens effing fast.

We are having marvelouly cool weather, 60's and expecting some showers perhaps the next several days.

I didn't know any of the finer points of wine making you have recently presented, and how grapes react to different factors. Not being much interested in wine, other than for cooking, I just had the basics in my head........fruit, crush, yeast, bottle......simpleton I am.

Your place harvest by hand? I saw something on DIscovery the other night about mechanical grape harvesters.

Mother Earth News has an article this month on hard cider making and it sounds to be extremely easy. All I would need is a quality champagne yeast. I am tempted, against my better judgement, but it is my favorite season of the year and a fresh mug of cider would go great with a fresh warm doughnut.

Heal well Charlie

Reply to
Charlie