Grey laundry water for garden watering?

Page 4 of 7

Hm. Carp is considered a trash fish here. I may have to re-assess that, thanks!

Can you fillet them?

Definitely have to re-asses. :-) Some people around here dump their "used" goldfish in the local river and they get HUGE. I live in a college town.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

You should, at least once. Folks most places consider them trashfish.

Nope. After you cut off the heads and tails and fins and gut 'em, use a pair of pliers (catfish skinning pliars work well) and pull the skin off. Not tearing of chunks of meat is a good idea. ;-) After you score them, and score them deep, both sides...cut them in 4-5 in chunks...the tail piece is the best, IMO.

Seriously, try them. Carp feeds are big time around here, but you don't have to get far from NW Mo before people think you are nutz.
Carp are fun as hell to catch...they fight like a bitch for a bit then usually roll right in. If you don't have a net, grab them quick with a thumb in the eye and a couple in the gills or they often go like hell again. Easy to break a line on setting the hook, but I haven't had this happen since using fireline/spiderwire stuff. Run your line thru an egg sinker and anchor it about 18-24 inches above the hook with a split, so it can slide thru the egg. Use a smallish treble baited with a sweet type doughball, or straight hook with sweet corn. Carp have small mouths. Give'em a bit to mouth the bait but be ready to have them give it hell. Keep a fairly tight line so you can watch your tip. More than once I've had to make a jump in the river to grab me rod. Usually happens when you are tipping up the can, if you can imagine that ;-)
Ahhhh.......nighttime, sandbar on the river, lantern light, cooler, bucket-butt, copperheads.....good times!
Recipes for carp bait can be googled. They'll sometimes go for nightcrawlers, but prefer sweet. I've also had good luck with anise flavored bait. Big time fun in England.
Prepared bait is available here in Hicksville. ;-)
Go gettem'!
Charlie

I'm wondering if there is a fillet technique for them.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Fixing carp is easy. Get a large pot. Fill with water, put a half dozen or so rocks on the bottom. Bring to boil. Add 1 large or several small carp. Cut up as needed so they fit in pot. Add salt and pepper, not too much. Boil for about 20 minutes - fish tend to cook fast. Discard carp, remove and eat rocks.
On Sun, 4 May 2008 21:55:26 -0700, "Zootal"

yeah yeah yeah.....similar to the old put a carp on a cedar plank and bake for thirty minutes then toss the carp and eat the plank. ;-)
Seriously, if you ever had a proper carp, you would sing a different song. :-)
Betcha never ate gar either. Easy and better'n you would think.
Care Charlie

We have alligator gar around here. I've noted that many fisherman toss them on the bank.
I've never caught one. Might consider spear fishing for one. I'm not convinced an average fishing line would hold one with those teeth!

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Hehehehe.... seriously, though, I'll eat almost anything, and if I could find someone to fix me a nice carp, I'd eat it right down. Gar too. :-)
On Mon, 5 May 2008 11:26:12 -0700, "Zootal"

Ahhh....you have redeemed yourself. ;-)
I have no doubt you would enjoy.
You sound like my kinda person!
Charlie

;-D
Thanks for the chuckle!

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

And I wonderin' if 'en there isn't somethin' more wonderful than someone who will listen to what is bein' said. Thanks for bein' there.
--

Billy

In article

That's what I get for not reading the entire post before replying. <g> I was not fully awake yet. ;-)
Sorry!

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Ah nevermind. I missed reading this the first time... Sounds a lot like preparing catfish except those are not scored.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Yep. It is pretty quick after you get the hang of it.
BTW....if so inclined, both the roe sacs (female) and milt sacs (male) are good eating...awfully rich, in particular the carp nuts. We hillbillys like our oysters of any sorts. ;-)
Charlie

I've eaten roe sacks but have not tried milt sacks.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

I have _tons_ of red wrigglers living in my back yard!

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
<Charlie> wrote in message

Charlie, you are not going to believe this, but here in Aus, they are used as a fertiliser. And it is called (wait for it) 'Charlie Carp': http://www.charliecarp.com/
In article

This should be good;-))
--

Billy

Har har, says I. I can hear you snickerin' all the way out here in the sticks, Mister Billy. You too, Fran.
The possibilities are numerous, aren't they. Ya'll should be gettin' some good mileage outta this one.......at poor old CharlieCarp's expense!
Methinks I got nuttin' here, absotootly nuttin.
I'm off to help younger son dig and set posts for a fence.
Harrumph......ya'll go right on ahead and have yer fun, sorry suckers ya be. I'll be back!!!
Charlie

You're not gonna' carp at us for havin' a wee bit o' foon, are ye? Like they say, carp' diem.:-))
--

Billy

In article

<g>