Grey laundry water for garden watering?

Page 3 of 7
In article

I've seen "The Wild", but not the other... Raw foods tend to be higher in nutrition, but that can balance out with some high fiber veggies. Cooking some stuff makes it more digestible.
Most of the time, I cook my steak rare. ;-d
http://i4.tinypic.com/4mkzc40.jpg
Seared on the outside, chilled, and served in a salad. A creative way to serve steak leftovers!

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Try marinading the thinly cut beef in vinaigrette for an hour or two, or over night. Serve with cold leeks or asparagus cut into 1" to 2" lengths, and French bread. Bread, cheese, and red wine, afterwards.
--

Billy

In article

Ooh, sounds yummy! I often use a vinaigrette marinade for grilled chicken over a wood fire. Marinating the asparagus prior to grilling works too. I have one of those veggie grill thingies for the wood grill.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
Omelet wrote:

Trout are also a good alternative, but it rooly depends on the size of the tank. Mossies are not really problem. Just put in some fly screens mesh (in the tank stoopid) not in the windows. Really some people have no imagination, and neither have they got a sense of humus...er humour? you git my vote omelet. Bacon with that?

Indeed... Gotta fry the fish in bacon grease. ;-d
A little veggie or mineral oil on top of the water kills skeeter larvae too.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
Omelet wrote:

Yup, and kerosene works even better. Wonder what it does to the plants though.

That is why I suggested a neutral oil. <g>
All it does is prevent them from breathing so they suffocate.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
Omelet wrote:

Yah, I was thinking to fry the little critters (g) You are so cruel. Fire is faster. Dont take much to give dem fish lung cancer...

In that case... see above. Peanut oil is good too. Coat the fishies lightly in spiced up corn starch and DEEP FRY! Bacon grease. ;-D

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Oh dear me......carp is our absolutlyist favoritist fish for plate!!
Bony yes, *but* skinned and properly scored and lightly dusted and scores lightly packed with flour/cornmeal and deep fried.....oh my.
The scoring of the flesh is *the* key to proper carp. Scoring, for those who aren't familiar, is running your *very* sharp knife from backbone down perpendiculary to the bellyside, cutting thru all the tiny bones, but not the ribs, or cutting clear thru the fish. From head to tail. You score as closely as possible, no more than 1/8 in apart. You can feel all the little hairbones being cut. Deep frying then reduces the tiny bones to nothing, though one still must exercise the usual caution when eating fish.
Oh lordy, Charlie and Mrs. Charlie are looking forward to fresh carp, coleslaw and fried taters and cornbread....just your mention of carp has me salivating like Pavlov's pup......
Charlie

Once again my dad would have me out on the swamp ice. Break a hole and shoot carp that came for air. 1955
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

In article

Sounds like fun. Did you use a .22?

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

I really think I would like to spend some time with you and your dad. Next time you break bread with him, tell him Charlie says "Hey". You grew up, it sounds, similarly to how folks grew up here in the midwest. How you think a couple almost oldtimers like us would do on a frog hunt now. Shit man, sounds like a blast!
Heh heh, did your dad ever have you out handfishin' carp when they were running in early summer, trying to get up an outflow? Last time I did this, five of us dressed and froze carp from 6pm til 3am, but by about 2am, we were kinda outta shape to be using knives and really tired of skinning and scoring fish. Twenty-three gunney sacks *full* of carp, filled the horsetank.
But....the question remains....how did you fix your carp and did/do you like them?
Folks in our area used to can lots of carp. THe pressuring took care of the bones and the flavor was reminiscent of tuna. Pretty damned good eatin' it was.
Gotta ask ya' this one....you and your dad ever noodle for catfish? That always gave me the willys, you just *knew* what was comin', but I never got comfortable doing it. I knew some guys what near got drownded using this technique. Brushpiles were dangerous. Sure as hell got skinned up fierce once in a while. Never happened to me, but sometimes bank holes held things other than cats.
Charlie, feelin' kind of ........elderly...and missin' the old fun! ;-)

Sold them to local Jewish folk never ate them. Sold our rats to local black folk eat some.
Our community was made up of poor blacks, whites, jews and what ever got here. Hand pumps for water and wood or coal for heat. We all were driven out to make for modern expansion. We called it the meadows where my back yard was a large swamp of a few hundred acres. The Philadelphia airport is real close to where I grew up. BTw the projects failed and the area is now a wasted community. They took 1 out of every 3 homes and it is still like that.

Never canned any fish or meat. Dried fish in a dehydrator and froze meat.

Unknown to me.

I'm not feeling elderly but I'd like to sleep sound and not know what Tinnitus and other health things mean. Looking at my efforts to be healthy I some times the effort was for naught. But when I jump over a curb I think yea.
Bill
<
http://youtube.com/watch?v
1n4U9YyaI>
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

It's handfishing for catfish. You quietly wade along the banks and around brush piles, gently and sloooowly sliding your hand into likely spots around the piles and holes in the bank. If a catfish is present, often nesting, it will usually nip your fingers and release. After crapping yourself, and not flailing around, you either slide back and grab gills or let it bite again and stick your fingers, or if it is large, your arm in and hang on and retrieve the fish. You can imagine the problems this can present. I never did like this, though it is effective. Soemthing about being bitten and shredded, when you can't see what is happening that is just not too........fun.

Know the feeling...we keep on keepin' on do't we.

Nice video......it is nice to see again what has heretofore been archived only in memory. Youtube is great. THanks Bill. Sent me on a search and watch of Bobby Darin......Mack the Knife...has some special memories.
Charlie
In article

Who was Tony Martin? I don't remember him. I'm with you on the Tinnitus. A little peace and quiet would be nice.
--

Billy

In article

Mom used to can meat. It keeps for years that way. A pressure cooker is a godsend.

For tinnitus, try running a fan at night. Works well for me.
I have trouble sleeping without one now. ;-)
Stretching exercises keep me mobile.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Glad to know we aren't the only ones like this. Fan always at night. When we travel we must carry a fan. Winter and summer. Night silence is....unnerving. ;-)

I've met others like this too. When I went hunting last month, the dead silence out on the prairie (except for the occasional screech of the barn owls in the old shed next to the trailer) made it so I could not sleep. I bought a small fan at wal-mart post-haste!

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
Bill wrote:

I was kidding! We dont want droves of people carp fishing in this ladies water tank.... We only wanted to get rid of the mosquitos. Oh hell. I remember the saying " its hard, when you find yourself in the middle of a mudhole full of alligators that you only came to drain the swamp" Shhooo no fishing allowed!