Grey laundry water for garden watering?

Yup, and kerosene works even better. Wonder what it does to the plants though.

Reply to
Jonno

That is why I suggested a neutral oil.

All it does is prevent them from breathing so they suffocate.

Reply to
Omelet

Yah, I was thinking to fry the little critters (g) You are so cruel. Fire is faster. Dont take much to give dem fish lung cancer...

Reply to
Jonno

In that case... see above. Peanut oil is good too. Coat the fishies lightly in spiced up corn starch and DEEP FRY! Bacon grease. ;-D

Reply to
Omelet

I like my fish well done and flakey and who you callin' Sushi? Is that a speech impediment or somethin'?;-)

Reply to
Billy

Sashimi... ;-)

Reply to
Omelet

Oh, my god.

Sashimi is a Japanese delicacy primarily consisting of very fresh raw seafood, sliced into thin pieces . . . A reputed motivation for serving wasabi with sashimi (and also gari, pickled ginger), besides its flavor, is killing harmful bacteria and parasites that could be present in raw seafood.

was going to have breakfast, now I have to wait for the room to stop spinning:-P

Reply to
Billy

Sorry. ;-)

While I like cooked fish, sometimes I'm just in the mood for really "fresh" food...

Steak Tartar is the most obvious one, but there are others using thinly sliced raw beef in a salad, but I can't remember what it's called. The trick to making it really good is using really _lean_ beef as, to me, raw beef fat is nasty. :-P

Sometimes I just crave raw beef. I probably need the iron. It's a girl thing.

I generally use Top round:

in a bit of soy sauce and/or raw egg yolk. ;-d

Reply to
Omelet

Followup to my own post now that I looked at the wiki link (sorry!)

Carpaccio. That's the dish I could not remember the name of. Thanks for the Wiki link!

've seen it served with slices of fresh tomato and fresh basil leaves too, much like Insalata Caprice. But, that's served with fresh made cheese slices.

Reply to
Omelet

Maybe I'll just wait for dinner. Seen "Into the Wild", yet? Seems like it might be your kind of movie.

Reply to
Billy

Casu Marzu, no doubt;-) Well a fast isn't such a bad thing.

Reply to
Billy

Oh dear me......carp is our absolutlyist favoritist fish for plate!!

Bony yes, *but* skinned and properly scored and lightly dusted and scores lightly packed with flour/cornmeal and deep fried.....oh my.

The scoring of the flesh is *the* key to proper carp. Scoring, for those who aren't familiar, is running your *very* sharp knife from backbone down perpendiculary to the bellyside, cutting thru all the tiny bones, but not the ribs, or cutting clear thru the fish. From head to tail. You score as closely as possible, no more than 1/8 in apart. You can feel all the little hairbones being cut. Deep frying then reduces the tiny bones to nothing, though one still must exercise the usual caution when eating fish.

Oh lordy, Charlie and Mrs. Charlie are looking forward to fresh carp, coleslaw and fried taters and cornbread....just your mention of carp has me salivating like Pavlov's pup......

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Once again my dad would have me out on the swamp ice. Break a hole and shoot carp that came for air. 1955

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I've seen "The Wild", but not the other... Raw foods tend to be higher in nutrition, but that can balance out with some high fiber veggies. Cooking some stuff makes it more digestible.

Most of the time, I cook my steak rare. ;-d

on the outside, chilled, and served in a salad. A creative way to serve steak leftovers!

Reply to
Omelet

Heh! Sometimes I fast for a day or two, but not deliberately. Sometimes I'm just too busy to eat, or am simply not hungry.

It's good for weight control.

Reply to
Omelet

Ugh. I'll pass. There are some raw things even _I_ won't eat. I'll draw the line at maggots.

I do enjoy Sashimi and raw beef but will not eat raw pork or chicken. The texture leaves much to be desired for one thing.

I can eat most veggies raw or cooked. OB gardening, I really need to consider putting in more chard. I love the stuff! I'm also thinking about picking up some beets from the grocery store just to grow the greens. Dad loves beets but I cannot stand them. I love the greens only. ;-d I've noted a trend at the stores now where they've quit chopping off the greens. For awhile there, you could not get beets with the leaves.

I've not seen carrot greens in ages. I like to feed fresh greens to Freya, my Goffin's Cockatoo.

Reply to
Omelet

Hm. Carp is considered a trash fish here. I may have to re-assess that, thanks!

Can you fillet them?

Definitely have to re-asses. :-) Some people around here dump their "used" goldfish in the local river and they get HUGE. I live in a college town.

Reply to
Omelet

Sounds like fun. Did you use a .22?

Reply to
Omelet

I really think I would like to spend some time with you and your dad. Next time you break bread with him, tell him Charlie says "Hey". You grew up, it sounds, similarly to how folks grew up here in the midwest. How you think a couple almost oldtimers like us would do on a frog hunt now. Shit man, sounds like a blast!

Heh heh, did your dad ever have you out handfishin' carp when they were running in early summer, trying to get up an outflow? Last time I did this, five of us dressed and froze carp from 6pm til 3am, but by about

2am, we were kinda outta shape to be using knives and really tired of skinning and scoring fish. Twenty-three gunney sacks *full* of carp, filled the horsetank.

But....the question remains....how did you fix your carp and did/do you like them?

Folks in our area used to can lots of carp. THe pressuring took care of the bones and the flavor was reminiscent of tuna. Pretty damned good eatin' it was.

Gotta ask ya' this one....you and your dad ever noodle for catfish? That always gave me the willys, you just *knew* what was comin', but I never got comfortable doing it. I knew some guys what near got drownded using this technique. Brushpiles were dangerous. Sure as hell got skinned up fierce once in a while. Never happened to me, but sometimes bank holes held things other than cats.

Charlie, feelin' kind of ........elderly...and missin' the old fun! ;-)

Reply to
Charlie

You should, at least once. Folks most places consider them trashfish.

Nope. After you cut off the heads and tails and fins and gut 'em, use a pair of pliers (catfish skinning pliars work well) and pull the skin off. Not tearing of chunks of meat is a good idea. ;-) After you score them, and score them deep, both sides...cut them in 4-5 in chunks...the tail piece is the best, IMO.

Seriously, try them. Carp feeds are big time around here, but you don't have to get far from NW Mo before people think you are nutz.

Carp are fun as hell to catch...they fight like a bitch for a bit then usually roll right in. If you don't have a net, grab them quick with a thumb in the eye and a couple in the gills or they often go like hell again. Easy to break a line on setting the hook, but I haven't had this happen since using fireline/spiderwire stuff. Run your line thru an egg sinker and anchor it about 18-24 inches above the hook with a split, so it can slide thru the egg. Use a smallish treble baited with a sweet type doughball, or straight hook with sweet corn. Carp have small mouths. Give'em a bit to mouth the bait but be ready to have them give it hell. Keep a fairly tight line so you can watch your tip. More than once I've had to make a jump in the river to grab me rod. Usually happens when you are tipping up the can, if you can imagine that ;-)

Ahhhh.......nighttime, sandbar on the river, lantern light, cooler, bucket-butt, copperheads.....good times!

Recipes for carp bait can be googled. They'll sometimes go for nightcrawlers, but prefer sweet. I've also had good luck with anise flavored bait. Big time fun in England.

Prepared bait is available here in Hicksville. ;-)

Go gettem'!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie