Grey laundry water for garden watering?

Page 2 of 7

I like my fish well done and flakey and who you callin' Sushi? Is that a speech impediment or somethin'?;-)
--

Billy

In article

Sashimi... ;-)

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Sashimi is a Japanese delicacy primarily consisting of very fresh raw seafood, sliced into thin pieces . . . A reputed motivation for serving wasabi with sashimi (and also gari, pickled ginger), besides its flavor, is killing harmful bacteria and parasites that could be present in raw seafood. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sashimi
I was going to have breakfast, now I have to wait for the room to stop spinning:-P
--

Billy

In article

Sorry. ;-)
While I like cooked fish, sometimes I'm just in the mood for really "fresh" food...
Steak Tartar is the most obvious one, but there are others using thinly sliced raw beef in a salad, but I can't remember what it's called. The trick to making it really good is using really _lean_ beef as, to me, raw beef fat is nasty. :-P
Sometimes I just crave raw beef. I probably need the iron. It's a girl thing.
I generally use Top round:
http://i16.tinypic.com/5xywje1.jpg
Dipped in a bit of soy sauce and/or raw egg yolk. ;-d

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Followup to my own post now that I looked at the wiki link (sorry!)
Carpaccio. That's the dish I could not remember the name of. Thanks for the Wiki link!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpaccio
I've seen it served with slices of fresh tomato and fresh basil leaves too, much like Insalata Caprice. But, that's served with fresh made cheese slices.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Casu Marzu, no doubt;-) Well a fast isn't such a bad thing.
--

Billy

In article

Heh! Sometimes I fast for a day or two, but not deliberately. Sometimes I'm just too busy to eat, or am simply not hungry.
It's good for weight control.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
In article

Ugh. I'll pass. There are some raw things even _I_ won't eat. I'll draw the line at maggots. <g>
I do enjoy Sashimi and raw beef but will not eat raw pork or chicken. The texture leaves much to be desired for one thing.
I can eat most veggies raw or cooked. OB gardening, I really need to consider putting in more chard. I love the stuff! I'm also thinking about picking up some beets from the grocery store just to grow the greens. Dad loves beets but I cannot stand them. I love the greens only. ;-d I've noted a trend at the stores now where they've quit chopping off the greens. For awhile there, you could not get beets with the leaves.
I've not seen carrot greens in ages. I like to feed fresh greens to Freya, my Goffin's Cockatoo.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

My son turned me onto raw, thinly sliced beef. It is really good.
A couple years ago I stupidly ate a few raw shrimp, without even thinking about the consequences. Vibrio, for one! Nothing ended up happening, but it was one the best tasting meats I have eaten.
You are right, rare beef is the best!! Sear that baby over really, really hot and crust the outside.......wow. Philly style. When Dad died, I inherited his Big Green Egg. I get that baby up to about 750F and give thick steaks about two mins on each side then slam the vents shut for another couple. Orgasmic.

Chard is wunnerful stuff and you get a *lot* from the plants. We freeze like spinach, the extra.
You probably don't like pickled beets either. Shame....after you eat 'em you can throw in hardboiled eggs and in a couple weeks.......mmmmmmmm.
Hmmm.......just a suggestion....we started growing Chioggia beets, look like a red and white bullseye. The tops are excellant and the root is different from red beets. Cooks nearly white and is rather sweet and lacks that typical beet earthyness, IMO. I've had them shaved in salads and they are good raw....again, IMO. ;-)

I've been reading recently about eating all sorts of greens, and it seems that most overthing we eat main crop, the leaves are edible too. I never even though about eating the rest of the plant, of say broccoli and carrots and radishes. Michael Pollan started me thinking down this path.
Good eats, and too many words ;-) Charlie

Bill German good stuff
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Oh yes indeed....you have some *great* food heritage...we love german eats.
When we lived in KC, we found one authentic german eatery, hole in the wall that opened into Munich, authentic german proprietors, best schnitzel ala holstein and fried cabbage I ever had......second best food in town......gates bbq was first. ;-)
My heritage, scots, gives us haggis.......need I say more. But, we also contribute Glenlivet.......
Charlie, who has a pig butt on the smoker as we speak...pulled pork sammies for the youngsters tomorrow.

Sounds tasty. I did a big batch of braised chicken drumsticks today, (they were on sale for $.99 per lb. for an 8 lb. bag) and a hyooge pot of black rice cooked in pork and veggie stock.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Oh yeah, sounds extra tasty! If nuthin' else, we on wrecked gardens sure do eat well!
Makes it hard to stretch oftimes! ;-)
Charlie

<g>
I'm wondering if I ought to try preparing a Haggis recipe using Tripe. Sheep stomach is not available at the grocery stores here. ;-)

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

NO! Simply fry the tripe and call it good!

Charlie

You'd have to have very good teeth to eat fried tripe. <g> It's normally used in Menudo and either slow cooked or pressure cooked!

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

against haggis;-)

--

Billy

In article

<giggles>

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

It is good, but I prefer it minimally cooked. When I cook shrimp, I do it in a very hot pan with butter and olive oil with garlic, dill weed and lemon pepper (salt free). Toss it around in the pan until it just turns pink.
I like raw octopus and tuna, but not squid. Squid gotta be braised or deep fried. ;-d

<lol> I know what you mean! Did you see my jpeg?

It also grows forever!

I've made pickled eggs using beet juice from the cans and pickle juice from the jars I buy at the grocery store. :-) That's a way to cheat making your own cucumber or okra pickles. Get the brand of pickles you like from the store, (I like Claussens), eat the pickles and save the commercial juice for pickling! I keep it in the 'frige.

Hm. I'll have to look for that! I like to steam radishes in stews and cooked veggie mixes, greens and all.

Yes they are! See above for radish greens. :-) Those are tossed by most people.

Oh gods. Both Broccoli and Cauliflower greens are GOOD! I always add them to the steaming mix. ;-d But, I do love greens. Never tried eating carrot tops, just fed them to the bird. I imagine, if nothing else, they'd be good for stock. They have a rather intense flavor. I always use celery leaves as well, and I freeze the tough asparagus stems to use in stock.

Indeed! :-) I finally started saving a LOT more trimmings in the freezer for stock. I've been amazed at the difference that "garbage" has made in the intensity of my stock flavor. I use stock mostly for making rice. I never cook rice in just water.
I've got some beef rib bones from a local BBQ place that I go to occasionally. I'll be using that smoky beef stock to make lentils.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Maybe I'll just wait for dinner. Seen "Into the Wild", yet? Seems like it might be your kind of movie.
--

Billy