Greenhouses

I live in XXtreme SW Utah at 3900' elev., north of St. George. Not sure what zone, as it varies with the book. 6 I think. Gets down to about 20 in the winter, 105 in summer. Snowed last week, so spring is about April 15th.
Anyway, my neighbor built himself a greenhouse. He now has tomatos already, and we haven't planted any. He's got other stuff, too.
Now, my wife wants one. So do I.
Give me some do's and don'ts on greenhouses. We get horrible winds here sometimes. What wood would be good, redwood? And is there any visqueen material that has fibers in it that will make it stronger?
I have a Singer walking foot sewing machine, so can make up the panels, plus any shadecloth arrangements I want.
All tips appreciated, including type of wood to use for main posts, types of clear/shade materials, watering systems for inside, heating on marginal nights, etc. Should I make the wall panels somewhat of a fold out for ventilation? Good sites for plans?
TIA
Steve

You might want to check this site. It's 99% Greenhouse information:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/strucs /

Put the entire in your internet browser address: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=plans&as_epq=greenhouse&as_oq=&as_eq=&num &lr=lang_en&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images
Thought it was kind of funny when the greenhouse gas emissions thing also came up in the search.
--
Dave

I have no greenhouse advice for you, but just wanted to say I live in Hurricane, so...howdy neighbor! --S.

Sorry, don't know of any Hurricane, Utah.
I DO know of Herkin, Utah.
;-)
Wave as you drive by us in Toquerville.

Would that be right next to "laverrakin"? (I pronounce it like the storm, by the way. I only moved here five years ago and could never say it like the natives.)

I'm taking the kids to the park there on Tuesday! Is Toquerville really zone 6? I always thought I was 8 or thereabouts, and I know there isn't much temperature difference between the two towns. --S.

I have seen it rated in different zones in different books. Still a little unsure. But I stop by Ballard's for my stuff, so I figure they have what will grow here. I live VERY close to Toquerville park. We love it here. Just a little windy.

Steve, I missed the original post, but I have built several like this one. http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/extension/publicat/postharv/green/small_greenhouse.pdf
I do recomend that you go over the math for the wood required. I think it is way off in the PDF. Also, I put 3 2x4 braces along the top and about a third down each side hung on hurricane hangers from the end wall frames. We get quite a bit more snow than NC! Also a real key is to buy the UC stabilized greenhouse plastic. It costs twice as much, but lasts 3-4x longer. One I built 8 years ago is still fine and pretty much intact except where the racoon and I got into it- but that's another story.