Greenhouse Growbags question.

Hi -
This is my first posting here so please bear with me -
This is my first full year of greenhouse ownership, it's only a smal 6' 6" square plastic Rion greenhouse, but I'm hoping to get som tomatoes, cucumbers, and sweet and chilli peppers going in growbag later this year.
I had limited success last year, but not as good as I hoped, due think to a late start and the wet summer we had.
Due to my odd work hours, I'm not going to be available to water th greenhouse every single day, so I have a water timer and drip feed into the growbags. Is this a good idea - or is there a better way ?.
Is it better to cover the floor with concrete flags, and sit th growbags on top of those, or will it be a better idea to cut a fe slits in the base of the growbags and rest them directly on the soil so some of the root systems will be able to grow down underneath th growbags ?
Last year I had a lot of small black flies, which I believe ar encouraged by having damp earth to lay their eggs in, so I'm thinkin that if I concrete flag the floor first, this will help eliminate th black flies problem ?
Thanks - Dave
-- Dave Whipp

have a look at this and see if it suits your needs. http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf http://www.earthboxresearch.com/
Hi All, I would put the grow bag onto the soil, That way the roots can go down into the soil to find water if you can not water every day. As for the flies if they are not harming the plants I would not bother about them. If they are you can allways get rid of them some other way. Hope this helps you.
Richard M watkin.

@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Look up fungus gnats and see if that's what you were observing.
Hi dave,
I had a small greenhouse similar to you and wanted to grow tomatoes an cucumbers also. My cucumbers came out real good but I didnt have much success with th tomatoes. I have since heard that tomatoess and cucumbers dont lik growing next to each other. Im not an expert so this is just somethin to bear in mind - and hopefully some more experienced people ca clarify this point??????????
good luck candide
Dave Whipp;774250 Wrote:

-- candide
Hi, It is not that Tomatoes and Cucumbers do not like growing together. It is that they like different conditions, so what is good for one is not good for the other. Hope this helps you.
Richard M. Watkin.

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:04:10 +0000, Dave Whipp

I am not familiar with growbags but the ones I saw on the WEB seemed to be rather large. I can not imagine that they would need to be watered every day. I am the southern US and have a greenhouse. I do not water my seedlings every day even though they are in trays with partitions that are about 2" square. http://www.tomatogrowers.com/supplies.htm #6686 is a sample of what I use to start seeds. And no, I did not pay that much for mine. Even this size does not need daily watering.
Put your Growbags in trays or saucers and fill the tray and let the pot absorb the water. Keep it up until it is wet all the way through. Remember it is roots that need the water. Do not set the pots on the ground. If the roots grow through the drain holes it will be a pain to remove the plants to either plant outside or move into larger bags.
Remember greenhouses can get very hot when hit with direct sunlight. I have seen mine go from 50F to 90F in an hour or two with the outside temperature is 40F.
I am not an expert but I do have a couple of years or experience now. If you have more questions ask here or my email is correct.
--
Susan N.