Greenhouse almost done

My husband is hooking up the electricity now so we can have heat in the greenhouse tonight. I transplanted my broccoli, rapini and lettuce today. I hope I never have to transplant 3" tall plants with only two leaves. I also started tomatoes and herbs today. Think I will wait a couple of weeks to start peppers and eggplant. I think most everything else get planted directly outside.
It will be interesting to see how my tomatoes especially do this year. I am trying "Sun Leaper" this year. I bought some last year at the farmers market and they were very good. Fairly thick flesh and kept well.
--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation,

Exciting isn't it? :-)
Don't forget to share pictures!!!
--
K.

I will as soon as my husband finished connecting all of the electrical stuff and I get the trash out. I consider dirt on the floor to be a normal condition.
Question. Do I need grow lights in the greenhouse? My first guess is that there is plenty of light for starting seedlings. I am wondering about keeping some plants going during the winter, especially tomatoes and herbs. I do love the watering wand.
--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation,

Me too. :-) Handy thing whey you have a lot of pots!
I keep lights in the winter, but mostly to keep the temps above freezing.
Kat
--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the
On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 07:52:18 -0500, The Cook

I envy you!

I would think lights would be a good idea in winter. Winter days are shorter, and the sunlight is less intense. Maybe have them come on early, say 7-ish, and go off around 9 when the sun is fully up. then they could come on again around 4 when the light starts to fade. Most of the cheap light timers have two settings on them now.
Penelope
The Cook wrote:

Hi, I have a hobby greenhouse 6' x 8',installed last year greenhouse. We shut it down the first part of Nov because I wasn't comfortable leaving an electric heater going. We installed grow lights that worked well and were needed once the sun got lower and the days shorter. We are in zone 6b. I'm getting ready to open the greenhouse back up. The temps are fine during the day so adding the grow lights add heat during the night. It will likely be the end of Mar before everything is up and going full tilt. We found Aug almost too hot so this year will add shading. The watering wand is great!
On 3/3/05 10:29 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, "Katra"

Pictures? Where? How? Gary
This is on sale for $299. Anyone have any experience with it? Extremely good price! http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberG712 Ken

Hmmmm... A bit small, and for Texas, that's not going to be enough ventilation. Looks reasonably sturdy tho'. ;-)
No, I've not seen one in person.
Here are what I am using:
http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslink/TheGreenhouses2.jpg
MUCH sturdier than they look and they have held up well to bad weather. Best of all, they erect in about 30 minutes. ;-) They are 8' x 8' x 7' and come with the shade cloth. They are all closed up for winter here.
Here is where I got them:
http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/eazy-4.shtml
Wow. They are marked down to $249.00.
<sigh> I paid $270.00 each.
That price includes the shipping too!
They have a large outer zipper too if you want to zip them together in series. There is a door on both sides. 3 year warantee.
Kat
--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:19:06 -0600, Katra
Oh!
Me want
Penelope

QED! :-) They take phone/credit card orders... <lol> I had them by UPS in less than 2 weeks!
I'm seriously wanting to look for a dealership for these. They sell nothing like this locally and I'm betting they would do well! Just not sure where to look or who to contact for a wholesale contract..... :-P The web has not been very revealing, and neither was anything in the packaging!
They are remarkably well made for being an import.
--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the
Hi,
on a per square foot basis the 12*24 foot jobber I got from B&K was a better buy.
Ken Anderson wrote:

--

>> SWD/Leinad/Cobray Derringer Sideplates <<

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7144221816
Ken Anderson wrote:

Hi Ken. My greenhouse is very similar to this. I haven't had a problem other than the door. Large gusts of wind coming from the right direction will cause the door to lift enough then come off. I'm modifying the entrance this spring. Too much heat can be a problem but I think that is the same with any greenhouse.
I am jealous.....wah....wah...I want one too...
That being said: ((((((((good for you)))))))...enjoy it and keep us posted