Green Tomatoes

Has anyone got any ideas of what to do with green tomatoes. I've got a bucket load and I don't think I can deal with that much chutney.
--
Potman

Potman wrote:

I have had the chutney overload too. Jam is good, green tomatoes make great jam.

Just got a jar of Carrot jam from my daughter. Saving for the holidays as it is Iranian.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://www.wordnik.com /
1 part green tomatoes 1 part onions 1 part ripe jalapenos Chop fairly fine bring to a boil 3 parts vinegar and 2 parts sugar, add about 1 tablespoon per quart mustard seed. Add chopped vegetables and simmer for 15 minutes. pack into sterile jars and seal while still very hot. Will easily keep for a year (I'm eating some of last years now and it's still wonderful). There's something about the heat, the sweet and the tart of the tomatoes that is just delicious. Steve

Steve Peek;937254 Wrote: > 1 part green tomatoes

> tablespoon

> minutes.

> for a

> There's

This hot recipe sounds right up my street thanks! I'm gonna make it I bet it's great on cheese on toast!
--
Potman

'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote: > ;937209']Potman wrote:-

> great

mmmm tomato jam? I've never heard of it but am strangely intrigued.
Sounds very nice! *Googles furiously for a recipe*
--
AndyStuart

Curious as to if these are actual green tomatoes or just immature reds?
I was waiting to see if others would post more. Not to split hairs as these are very loosely defined and you may consider some as one in the same but Google for jams, chutneys, relishes,salsa, marmalade, mincemeat. Try canning, freezing whole for later( this works well for cherry toms also) and of course fried, especially in a BLT. Green tomato pie as a dish and try batter fried topped with Mozz, ( or any good melting cheese) baked( or broiled) until Cheese is melted and topped a salsa verde, perhaps a romesco or any of the jams, chutneys, relishes,salsa, marmalade mincemeat(?... maybe not so much) mentioned above.
Steve's version sounds like a chow chow and pretty good For a different direction, you might try a peperoncini or a wax, along w/ some fresh herbs, colored bells, garlic cloves and some spices like dill or allspice in the agrodolce . A couple of scotch bonnets (SB) or habs would add a bit of spiky heat for a Caribe flavor. To tame SB/ Hab heat, leave them whole and uncut in the pickling.

I hope he meant immature tomatoes--- Just ran across this page this morning- 5 recipes for Green Tomato And Pimento Cheese Biscuits, Fried Green Tomatoes With Shrimp Remoulade, Green Tomato Pickle, and Spaghetti With Green Tomatoes; and some more in the comments- http://www.npr.org/2011/08/30/140036782/green-tomatoes-an-end-of-summer-bonus
The biscuit recipe inspired me to try chopping some up and adding them to the vegan cheesey breadsticks I'm making later.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Tomatoes come in many colours but I haven't seen one that stayed green all over when ripe. If anybody knows of such a cultivar say on.
David
These are standard tomatoes that are yet to mature. Although since harvesting they are turning red at an astonishing rate I guess it's due to the house staying warmer at night. In fact I now have a glut of green AND red tomatoes, which is a nice possition to be in!
--
Potman

"they are turning red at an astonishing rate"
Putting them in a paper bag helps keeps the ethylene gas level up which accelerates the senescence.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/green.htm
Potman;937192 Wrote: > Has anyone got any ideas of what to do with green tomatoes. I've got a > bucket load and I don't think I can deal with that much chutney.
give them kids to throw at windows
--
jamie smith

@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Sure... Teach kids to waste food.
If they go rotten maybe I will..... maybe!
'7cm Square Pots | Pot Tastic' (http://tinyurl.com/3zdbavl )
--
Potman

@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Yeah, throwing rotten kids at windows might be a modest proposal.
I think composting them is better.
phorbin;938638 Wrote: > In article snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk, Potman.8ffd316

Luckily for me they are turning red at an astonishing rate. Any ideas what i can do with Red Tomatoes, only joking I'm not quite that stupid.
--
Potman

echinosum;939431 Wrote: > II live in the Chilterns now, and even here I don't find much, though > there is quite a lot of woodland. Of course at the moment with a > prolonged dry period behind us there isn't much out.
While out walking around Berkhamsted at the weekend, I did find a cep. Unfortunately some previous passer-by had kicked it to pieces. Such ignorance. In general the ground was dusty-dry and very little was growing. That was the only bolete I saw on the whole walk.
--
echinosum

It's just the start of the season. Wait for the first sunny day after a rain.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and
Potman;937192 Wrote: > Has anyone got any ideas of what to do with green tomatoes. I've got a > bucket load and I don't think I can deal with that much chutney.
Hi Potman,
There's loads of non-chutney related fun you can have with green tomatoes! Here's a 'list' (http://tinyurl.com/yo74ec ) to start you off :)
--
Marrow