green figs

Hi, We have had a fig planted in our garden (london). The fruits are getting quite large (3inch long), are softening up a bit. They are green & pear shaped. How can I tell when or if they are edible ? Many thanks -- ajlajl ------------------------------------------------------------------------ posted via www.GardenBanter.co.uk
I have the brown turkey variety which will turn brown when fully ripe. They are edible when they are still green but getting soft. Just like any fruit the riper they are, the sweeter, but figs tend to go from ripe to over ripe complete with fruit flies very quickly. I just had to experiment the first year to see when mine were prime for picking. Having some that are still somewhat green mixed in with ripe fruit are best for making jelly. If you have a problem with fruit flies, pick while still green but softening and they should ripen on the counter in a day or two.
Bruce
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:03:10 GMT, ajlajl

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:03:10 GMT, ajlajl

Pick one and cut it open. My local vairety is green outside, and rose and white inside when quite ripe for eating or jam. 3" long and softening sounds ripe-ish to me. I ate a couple of much smaller figs 2 weeks ago that were quite pleasant.