Green beans

Hi all,

Just pulled about two store-sized cans worth of green beans out of the garden. They're really productive, as the package said. I don't think we're going to eat them as fast as they grow, so what can I do about long term storage? We have a right (big big pot) for canning tomatoes, but no pressure cooker.

Can they be frozen and keep for a few months?

Btw, the watermelon are taking over the garden... again. I gave them more room than last year, but the vines just race to try to get where I don't want them!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Legumes will dry out and form beans if left on the plant longer. I wonder if this breed will form some type of beans that are okay dried.

I believe so. Blanche and fast freeze.

Reply to
Doug Freyburger

Yes they can be frozen. Blanch for 3 minutes cool quickly and place in freezer bags with about a inch head space. Will keep for 6 to 8 months.

Reply to
Bear

"Bear" wrote in news:OjmKe.3744$cg.2523 @news02.roc.ny:

Thanks for the information! I'll give it a try.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"Doug Freyburger" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Chances are the seeds will go to maturity and be able to grow new plants. I've got two almost full packages of green bean seeds so I'm not going to mess much with them.

I will give that a try, thanks for the information!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

If the seeds from the package are good when cooked in a crockpot, then the seeds you grow will be good when cooked in a crockpot. But the ones you grow, you know they aren't laced with insecticide. Depends on how much you like baked beans of various sorts.

Reply to
Doug Freyburger

That sounds real easy & I will look forward to trying it out. dvkegal

Reply to
dvkegal