Grape Tomatos

Does anyone know of a good variety of grape tomatoes ? I have some for the local Pathmark, they are actually very good. I'm thinking of taking the seeds and starting there, But I don't know what cultivar they are. They are slightly bigger than a cherry tomato, and seem to be meatier with less seeds.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Juliet. It is a red hybrid with a pear shape, and some gardeners, including myself, report the seed can breed true out to six or more generations. Whether the tomato seeds that you have will breed true is open to speculation. The Juliet is a prodigious producer.

Four to five year old lettuce seeds have germinated, and I am awaiting the peas. The garden has begun.

Reply to
Billy

My long-time favorite red grape tomato was "Ruby" but it is no longer available from my usual sources.

I've been trying various varieties ever since, and last summer's may have been a keeper. It's called "Sweet Hearts."

Be advised that "Juliet" is much larger than a typical grape tomato, being more of a very small pear, when I've grown it.

Last summer I also grew a large orange grape tomato called "Gold Nugget" which was pretty good, and a nice contrast to the red one.

(I actually dry most of my grape tomatoes and give them away to friends and family. They easily out-produce what I need fresh.)

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

My favorite are called Sugary. They are small and very sweet. They grow well and I have harvested seeds for about 4 years now. I have a greenhouse so I am able to grow them all year. The original seeds came from Tomato Growers. MJ

Reply to
mjciccarel

Jelly Bean. It comes in both a red and a yellow variety.

I've grown the Red Jelly Bean with success in large containers and out in the main garden as well. Great for snacking or in salads.

Nyssa, who is getting tired of winter

Reply to
Nyssa

A belated thanks for all the replies. I scavenged some seeds from some donor Grape tomatoes to see how it will go.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle