Grape Growers

Wondered if anyone on the list was into grape gardening. I have quite a few vines--- too many in fact. but like some folks collect tomato or dahlia varieties, I do with grapes. Would really like to hear of any unusual finds or even volunteer grapes that people come across. I have mostly muscat type grapes but also grow a few ornamental vitis like Coignetiae. Am also into seed trading of good types. My climate is cool region one, like North France or Germany. We don't get much heat, but the frost free season is pretty long.
David
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:29:56 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

I've been thinking about putting some vines in next spring. With so many vines, how are your supporting them? Arbors, or wire or ???
tom
snipped-for-privacy@nomail.please (JustTom) wrote:

Grapes don't come true from seeds. You need cuttings.
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars

I bought a house that has grapes in the garden. Didn't find them until the end of the season. The small Thompson were sweet as sugar. The BIG quarter sized don't know what kind finally ripened. They were grown on rabbit wire, and this winter I'm going to go in and cut that all out and put them on proper wires. Have been reading about pruning, as these were never pruned. May seek local help, as this tiny town I live in was founded by Mormon settlers who were sent on a mission to create vineyards to brew "sacramental" wine. That didn't pan out, but they did grow other crops in abundance. Looking forward to a good year of grapes this year.
Steve

We inherited a grape arbor with some old Concord vines, I believe; and I've since planted a couple of other varieties near the arbor as well as a couple of scuppermongs last year which I put down on our terraced planting areas. I'll probably just train those on some heavy round wood poles like the vineyards do. I read that scuppermongs are the healthiest of grapes with more anti-oxidants than others.
I also planted some seeds this fall and don't know if they'll come up next year but I thought it was worth a try.
Regards, June