grafted tomatoes

Just got the Territorial seed catalog. They are offering grafted tomato plants! Supposedly the more vigorous rootstock "enables more effective uptake of water and nutrients, and increases plants' resistance to pests or disease and tolerance to temperature extremes and drought".
One plant costs more than a couple of seed packets of tomatoes, so my frugal soul says "No way". Maybe I should request one for my March birthday.
Rosemary

I did some of my own last spring, using "Beaufort" rootstock seeds from Johnny's. Did OK, but last year wasn't a bad blight season. If you're doing your own grafting there is a learning curve. The smaller utility knife from Home Depot works nicely....razor sharp, with break-away segments when it gets dull.
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

I saw that too, and had to laugh. Seven bucks for a single tomato plant that may or may not make it, and which will be dead in a few months anyway? Seems like an awful lot of work for something that is so easy to grow without all the help. A tree or bush--something that is supposed to last and needs to have a good strong start--I can understand grafting for that. But a vegetable plant? That's just overkill. --S.
"Suzanne D." wrote in message

I saw that too, and had to laugh. Seven bucks for a single tomato plant that may or may not make it, and which will be dead in a few months anyway? Seems like an awful lot of work for something that is so easy to grow without all the help. A tree or bush--something that is supposed to last and needs to have a good strong start--I can understand grafting for that. But a vegetable plant? That's just overkill. --S.
7 bucks sounds like cheap fun

It isn't overkill if it's the only you can get tomatoes...and you can graft your own at considerably lower cost, though the rootstock is pricy.
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

^^ way