Good winter veggies

Any suggestions for what grow good during fall and winter months. I live in an area that is usually sunny with highs in the 60s and lows in the 30's with a few 20s and an occassional teen thrown in. What are good veggies to grow in these conditions. Celery??? Lettuce??? Any thoughts?

Reply to
Mango Man

  • Swiss chard
  • Lettuce
  • Maybe celery - I've not grown it, so I don't know.
  • Most of the Asian greens, including mizuna, hon tsa tai, bok choy, choy sum, and Chinese cabbage
  • Beets
  • Carrots
  • Radicchio
  • Chicory

(Really, most any salad green.)

It would help to cover things with a floating row cover, especially during the colder nights.

My Swiss chard survived last winter until the temperature hit 12 F. And it was in a pot, not even growing in the ground. Lettuce I was growing this spring survived temperatures of about 16 F, plus a foot of wet snow.

Pat

Reply to
spamtrap

Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower, cabbage, rutabaga, those sort of things.

Reply to
James Mayer

You can do; kale, collards, brussel sprouts, spinach, bok choy, and others. Len

Reply to
len