Good canning tomato??

Page 1 of 2
I am really late getting my garden in this year and finally have the ground prepared. Whatever tomatoes I planted last year just didn't do well for canning purposes. I'm not starting from seeds and get my plants at Lowe's or Home Depot. Any suggestion on a good variety to can (that I would find at either of those two stores)? My garden is *very* small so I can't put in too many plants. Sue in the San Joaquin Valley of Calif.

If your canning for sauce Roma's are the best and the grow in a fairly compact plant.
On Wed, 11 May 2011 16:21:55 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Sorry. I should have been more specific. No, I grow for stewed tomatoes - tomatoes with onion, celery and bell peppers. Sue

Then any tomato that is usually called slicing tomato. They are lighter in color and tend to be bigger than a Roma.
Sue wrote:

Any tomato will work then. Maybe plant a couple Better Boy and one something-else (Roma?) Better Boy is a hybrid all-purpose tomato. It has good flavor and usually yields very high.
Bob

Find a local green house nursery instead of the big box warehouse places. Nurseries will have healthier and a greater selection of plants.
Tomatoes for canning are divided into two categories, "Plum" and "Globe". Plums tomatoes are great for sauces they have a higher pulp to juice ratio. Plums also have Plum shape to them, tends to be long and tapered at the ends. Globes are more rounded and good for general canning and for soups. Romas "plum" tomatoes are good for sauces and Big Boys "globe" tomatoes are good for Juices and Soups.
Get a Roma food strainer for canning tomatoes.
This is cheap model their are other machines. I would also get the Ball Complete book for home preservation. The bible of home canning.

I could not let myself pass that one up. If you are canning with peppers and and onions I hope you are using a pressure canner. Using a water bath canning with peppers can be very very bad news. For the note a pressure canner is not the same as a pressure cooker. Something like in the link.

On Thu, 12 May 2011 01:41:17 +0000 (UTC), Nad R

I've always used water bath with the peppers and onions. So far, so good. I've used recipes that allow water bath with these veggies. I'm terrified of pressure canning. Sue

I am terrified of botulism. New pressure canners have safety features. Count yourself lucky so far. The link is just one of many. For veggies I prefer pickling or freezing otherwise the pressure canner is the only way to go. I use the pressure canner for all veggies including tomato products. Tomatoes can go either way Water Bath or Pressure. The only time I use the water bath is for Fruit jellies.
Once you learn how to use your pressure canner. One can make different kinds of soups and I can the extra with my small four quart pressure canner. Great for stocks also. One can get good at it, by the time I eat dinner and clean up, the extra is canned good for the year.
http://www.pickyourown.org/canningpeppers.htm

On Thu, 12 May 2011 01:29:59 +0000 (UTC), Nad R

Chuckle. We have no local green house. The closest possible would be 35 miles from here. Since I have no pressing need to go out of town in the next few days (my only reason is for doctor's appts) the cost would be pretty awful considering the price of gas right now.

One problem I had last year was that I didn't have enough tomatoes at any given time to can. I'm thinking maybe my error was in getting two different varieties (2 plants each). I don't know. They just weren't successful. Sue

You must be living in the city. I live in the country were their are lots of green houses and nurseries. I love the nurseries where thousands of plants of many kinds surround you. The colors and the numerous sweet earthy smells... Better than going to a movie.

I will subdivide tomatoes once again. Their are two kinds of tomatoes plants, "Determinate" and "InDeterminate". Determinate tomatoes ripen on the vine all at once which are great for canning. Determinate tomatoes have a single stalk that grows upwards, Romas and Beefsteaks are determinate. Indeterminate tomato plants provide fruits throughout the season, never enough for canning. Indeterminate tomato plants are bush like with no main stalk. Examples of indeterminate tomato plants are "Early Girl" and "Cherry". You will not get enough to even think about canning.
Indeterminate tomatoes use those ring like tomato supports. Determinate tomatoes plants tend to use ladder supports. I would think for canning small amounts, six plants at least would be a minimum. Around Three pounds of tomatoes for each quart of whole canned tomatoes. I will be growing close to forty tomato plants for canning this fall for me myself and I.

Make that "all at once-ish". It's more like a bell curve with a few ripening, leading to a lot ripening, and goes back to a few ripening, and ends with winter.
--
- Billy

Bush's 3rd term: Obama plus another elective war

Ouch...that hurts! My math teacher always did hit me with that ruler for not adding my error rates.

Too young to hit with a slide rule, huh?
--
- Billy

Bush's 3rd term: Obama plus another elective war
On Thu, 12 May 2011 07:05:27 +0000 (UTC), Nad R

LOL. No city here. I live in a town of 34,000 in the San Joaquin Valley of California. Thousands of acres of commercially grown canning tomatoes grown around here (as well as cotton, almonds, cantaloupes, sugar beats, wheat, dairy cows, sheep. Oh, I could go out into a field and get the tomatoes I suppose but I'd rather grow them myself. No, there is no nursery around here other than an orchid nursery.

Excellent info. I knew about the two types and suspected that's where I may have gone wrong in the last couple of years. I think it was just luck my first 3 years of growing tomatoes. Thanks! Sue

Wow! That's massive! My township I live in has less than 5,000 people for 100 square miles... You must be living on top of each other :) no wonder you only have space for just a couple of plants :)

On Fri, 13 May 2011 00:50:16 +0000 (UTC), Nad R

:o) I understand. I used to live in a small town in Alaska.
On Thu, 12 May 2011 07:05:27 +0000 (UTC), Nad R

The Early Girl were labeled as determinate. Oops. Sue

I wish I was perfect :( Sounds like you know the process of selecting the kind of tomato you want. Now where did I put that Arecept memory drug.

On Sat, 14 May 2011 10:46:14 +0000 (UTC), Nad R

I was oopsing at me. I thought the label was wrong. ;o) Sue - with memory issues of her own.