Global warming and your garden

Page 6 of 6

I've probably mentioned this before, but we had a '76 Datsun B210 that got 42 mpg. Billy's old Datsoon pickup likely does, or did, pretty well.
Funny thing, ain't it?
Along the same lines, in the last month the scooter population has greatly increased and there are now tons of bicycles on the streets. In the past hardly anyone rode either. Several of the local businesses, including WalFart, have put up bike parking racks.
Heh heh, lots of boats and suvs and trucks with "Fer Sale" signs also.
Personally, it's way past time that we give up, as Kunstler puts it, "Happy Motoring". Increasing fuel mileage is not the solution. Many fewer cars and many fewer miles driven, that is a good start. I think that is going to happen, no matter what.
The world is maybe getting larger again. I hope.
Charlie

Nah, the '80 Datoon is a gas guzzer at 20 mpg, think about it is that it thrives on abuse and rarely needs repairs. The '91 Sentra though, that beautiful puppy got 40 mpg avg., and about 45 mpg on the road.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

Prince Charles an organic gardener weighs in.
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/theroyalfamily/1961719/Prince -Charles-Eighteen-months-to-stop-climate-change-disaster.html>
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org /

Running out of oil will be a gift...
--
Peace! Om

Just don't try setting any examples by tying your horse to one of the bollards in front of the grocery store.
Ah, a world without oil. Just look around in your or almost anyone else's home, its plastic. A widely overlooked thing is the insulation on cables and wires. Another overlooked example is in alot of cases, the feedwater outside of the home and all wastewater pipe is plastic. Yes, there's other substitutes requiring other natural resources. But, not enough to suit the numbers required today, let alone tomorrow.
--
Dave

The United States has a 300-year supply of coal, if it continues to use it at the same rate as today. http://www.teachcoal.org/aboutcoal/articles/coalppf.html
And of course, China wants to join the unsustainable 1st World, and will be bringing new coal burning electrical plants on line until 2030.
Ain't no joy in Mudville "lucky".
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

a relatively short time when you think about it.

when oil is gone there will be new technologies to fix a lot of the problems. Think of all the patents the oil company's probably have locked up.

There might be some joy down the road but thats just a guess and lets hope I get lucky.

The one that worries me the most (along with the terminator gene) is the gene that would have corn grow plastic. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/plastic.html

--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

Neat tool deals with drought.
<http://www.droughtscore.com/
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org /
"Persephone" wrote in message

Aren't most of the people of this NG already contributing greatly to reduce Global Warming? We all (or at least want to) GARDEN and many of this list will apply to most of the gardeners.
1. Organic Growers aren't using (much) fertilizers, insecticides or pesticides. 2. Some Gardeners don't use any gasoline or fuels. 3. We strive to figure out ways to use water the most efficient way. 4. Any produce we grow means that it doesn't have to be transported from far away. 5. For the many that compost, we are giving the landfills less. 6. Many vegetable gardeners successive and some extend their seasons. 7. If we plant enough flowers and trees, we are trying to offset the buring of the Amazon rainforests. 8. Our efforts do not require taxpayer money and our efforts from the millions of gardeners world wide probably do more than all the government programs anyway.
Gardeners Forever! ~tom

Good post, Tom. Thanks.
Viva la Revolucin Jardn Charlie

We're having another spring that's three weeks late, so far. We've been keeping weather records and recording migratory bird arrivals, the date the ice goes out on the lakes and creeks here, leaf-out on trees, various plant indicators and soil temps, etc. for 60 years. Last year and this year are the coldest springs since 1959 and 1964. Those were bad ones, too. The snow went off my garden beds yesterday. Normal ice out on our lake is May 15. We still have 100% ice coverage. Etc.
Jan in Alaska